• NYC "Hickory Creek" to be on Amtrak 287- 6/26

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

by Otto Vondrak

Be trackside Sunday to see this historic car!

From RAILPACE, via URHS posting:

20th CENTURY LIMITED - HICKORY CREEK INAUGURAL RUN: The United Railroad Historical Society (URHS) is proud to announce that the well-known signature car of the 1948, 20th Century Limited, named the “Hickory Creek” will make an inaugural run on the “Niagara Weekender” excursion between New York Penn Station and Niagara Falls, NY. The luxury railway journey operated by Rail and Cruise Travel (800-292-7245) leaves on Sunday, June 26th at 9:45 AM on Amtrak Train 287 and returns Wednesday, June 29th. The Hickory Creek is one of two cars that alternately graced the rear of the 20th Century Limited on its trek from Grand Central Terminal, New York to LaSalle Street Station, Chicago. It is appointed with the well-known “look-out” lounge in the rear third of the car, which is above the normal floor-height of the rest of the car. Total lounge accommodations can provide seating for twenty-three passengers in a comfortable setting. This portion of the Hickory Creek has been laboriously restored to reflect its original “as-built” décor as when first in service on September 15, 1948. On this date, in Grand Central Terminal, General Dwight D. Eisenhower, Actress Beatrice Lillie and New York Mayor William O’Dwyer “christened” the car prior to its first revenue journey from New York to Chicago. The Hickory Creek is fitted with a stainless-steel kitchen equipped with the finest appliances to provide meals for overnight passengers that will retire in the four shower and lavatory equipped double bedrooms that take up 48 feet of the 85-foot car. This inaugural excursion will mark the completion of the seven-year restoration project for this famous car. The restoration effort commenced in 1998 and through the effort of the historical society’s contractor, Star Trak, Inc., it has been rebuilt to modern mechanical standards. An Amtrak “40-year” truck inspection, head-end-power cable installation and various other mechanical modifications have been recently completed to allow the “Hickory Creek” to travel on Amtrak routes. (URHS - posted 6/23)

by uticajack

Otto,
Looked on the Amtrak site for a timetable schedule for train 287 & there was none. Is there any more info that you can share with us. I'd like the opportunity to take some pictures as it passes through the Utica area.

Thanks in advance,
Jack

by Otto Vondrak

Adobe Acrobat Reader software needed to view this PDF:
http://www.amtrak.com/timetable/may05/W08.pdf

Amtrak 287 is a regularly scheduled Amtrak train that departs from New York Penn Station on Sunday morning... you can check the schedule on Amtrak's web site, or call Amtrak at 1-800-USA-RAIL to get the most up-to-date information the day it runs...

-otto-

by joshuahouse

Otto the Amtrak site seems to be saying the empire service trains are gone for the weekends, I think due to the CSX maitnence blitz, that or because of the equipment needs on the NEC.

by O-6-O

uticajack: Seems according to the TT that 287 which is a Sa/Su only
train DOES NOT stop in UT or RO but does stop in Amsterdam and
SY of course. Might have to catch it on it's return on Weds the 29th.
I've seen the car up close down in Lebanon,NJ. It's a work of art. A
real beauty.

STEAM ON
/--OOO--~-oo--oo-

by uticajack

O-6-O,
It took a while to download Otto's TT, but I see what you are saying. Train 287 is a weekend train & it is not on Antrak's timetable. I left you a PM on the site last week. Please review!

Thanks,
uticajack

by SimTrains

Thanks for the heads up Otto!! Any idea when, or what train it will head back on? Unfortunatly I will be away on vacation this sunday. (up to the Adirondack scenic)

by hioo1

Any advice on where we can see it ont he trip up or back, I'm not familiar with the route ir the area up there and I want to get some good pics of it. You know any place (hopefully near NJ) to see it?

by Ken W2KB

Photo of Hickory Creek undergoing restoration at Lebanon, NJ taken by my passenger about 2 weeks ago:

by CP169

Train #288 is the Water Level Express so I would assume #287 is its westbound counterpart. I'll be out at the Memphis crossing with my Panasonic camcorder and digicam for this one. Just got to figure out how to use them both at once.
  by Noel Weaver

There are a couple of misprints in the pocket timetable and the web site
timetable for the New York State routes. The timetable shown in the
system timetable is correct.
Noel Weaver

by O-6-O

Utica Ticket office confirms that the pocket TT is a misprint. The national
Amtrak site is also a misprint. 287 does indeed stop at Utica and NOT
Amsterdam at 2:02. Great day for photo's.

STEAM ON
/--OOO--~-oo--oo-
  by Railroaded

Can anyone confirm the NYC car is on the 287? I want to head out, but it's 91 degrees here and the train status page on Amtrak.com says it's running an hour & half late. Let us know, thanks!

-B in B

wlbblw@@aol.com

by O-6-O

The Hickory Creek was on 287. Train was late(shocking) about 1 hr due
to traffic and maintence. Trk 2 oos from 235-239. The car is gorgeous,
but looks a little funny in the consist with the other Amjunk. A semi
reliable source tells me it's returning Wed 6/29 on train 286, but this
should be confirmed. Nothing beats clean varnish.

STEAM ON
/--OOO--~-oo--oo-
  by Railroaded

Saw the Hickory Creek roll through dowtown B-lo station at 8PM, 2 & 1/2 hrs late but looking good!
Thanks to all for good information.
-BW