• NYC-painted bridge in Buffalo on Delaware Ave near Hertel

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

by EastCleveland

I've posted this on the NYC forum, but then realized that someone here might know. . . .

In Buffalo, NY, a fairly substantial railroad girder bridge crosses Delaware Avenue, just south of Hertel.

Someone has recently gone through considerable effort to paint "New York Central" across both the north and south facades of the span -- and (as a bonus) add the classic pre-cigar band herald to the south side as well.

The paint job looks fresh. Although I presume CSX currently owns the bridge, instinct tells me they're not the sentimental type. Anyone know who painted the structure? And what prompted them to do so?

by Otto Vondrak

That paint job is relatively new, was done on purpose and sponsored locally.

BUT

The more important question is.... did you stop at Louie's for a Texas Hot?

-otto-

by SimTrains

Ohhh man, I've got to see this!! (and stop for a hot dog :wink: )

by charlie6017

I also have noticed this bridge and it is great looking. No, I did'nt stop at Louie's, sorry. If no pics are posted, I will grab a pic and post.

by Schooltrain

I seem to recall a bridge across Delaware that has displayed its NYC heritage forever. It seems that it's near a shopping center (big help, I know!). Is this the same bridge with a fresh paint job to enhance it?

by MarkT

That's the same bridge! Next to the Great Arrow Plaza.

by EastCleveland

The bridge is part of Buffalo's Belt Line. Although it only serves freight traffic now, the span saw passenger train service from the 1880s until just after the First World War.

Although I'm no paint expert, I'd say the current paint job is no more than two or three years old. Very impressive.

by WNYRailfan

I saw the bridge being repainted in 2001.
I even took some pictures of it with a Advantix wide format camera
(e.g. I fit the whole bridge in the picture).
Problem is they are in my apartment in Buffalo and I am here in Toledo. Good news is I am going back this weekend to get the stuff from my apartment. I'll post the picture by the end of the weekend.

by SST

I remember seeing this bridge for the first time a few years ago. It was a shock to see this. I also posted this same sighting to the original forum. The response was basically a local group randomly paints it. It was a long time ago that I posted this and the above is very generalized. It maybe the NRHS that takes care of it. I'm pretty sure that they'll be taking care of it into the future.

I wish they would do the bridge over the Kensington Expressay [Rt33] at the 198 split. Now that would be impressive. To big though and hard to paint with all the screaming vehicles belown.

by Railroaded

I have before and after photos of the Belt Line NYC Bridge, and will e mail them to anyone interested.

Did anyone notice the interesting Art Deco treatments to the Kensington/Rt 33 NYC bridge abutments? About as slick a design as you can get with concrete, I'm surprised they even bothered.

-B in B

by WNYRailfan

I posted the picture on my website. Click the link below and then click on the folder labeled Delaware Ave.

http://photos.yahoo.com/BugBoy1998_1999

Even with a wide shot I could not even fit the whole bridge in the picture.

by Otto Vondrak

WNYRailfan saves the day:

-otto-

by videobruce

It only took 3+ years for someone to notice!