Railroad Forums 

• NYA around Valley Stream

• Discussion related to NYAR operations on Long Island. Official web site can be found here: www.anacostia.com/nyar/nyar.html. Also includes discussion related to NYNJ Rail, the carfloat operation successor to New York Cross Harbor that connects with NYAR.
Discussion related to NYAR operations on Long Island. Official web site can be found here: www.anacostia.com/nyar/nyar.html. Also includes discussion related to NYNJ Rail, the carfloat operation successor to New York Cross Harbor that connects with NYAR.
 #606509  by diffusedmind

What are the chances of spotting any NYA around Valley Stream? I live very close (2 minute walk) from the station, would be nice if I could catch something going through there.
 #606565  by Sir Ray

I also live around the area, but does NY&A even pass through since Baisly Lumber closed...what, over 5+ years ago?
Are there even any current freight customers on the Montauk Branch in Nassau County (and yes, West Hempstead branch...that answer is no I'm fairly sure)?
 #606566  by diffusedmind

Baisly siding was off the West Hempstead right, on Google Maps it looks like the siding that goes straight into a building. I don't think i've ever seen any freight customers around here, just wondering if they ever passed through on their way out east.
 #606692  by Sir Ray

diffusedmind wrote:Baisly siding was off the West Hempstead right, on Google Maps it looks like the siding that goes straight into a building.
I don't think the siding ever went into the building, but stopped short as you can see Here - I remember there was usually one centerbeam on the siding, maybe once I saw two, either that or there was a boxcar or two. Since the business still handles bulk building materials, I wonder why they don't use rail freight.
I don't think i've ever seen any freight customers around here, just wondering if they ever passed through on their way out east.
Good question, for some reason I think they just use the mainline & central branch to go out east on the Montauk, but hopefully someone who knows better will answer soon.
Does NY&A ever haul track & maintenance supplies for the LIRR?
 #606755  by RPM2Night

Rarely, very rarely, the NYAR still uses the "babylon branch" portion of the Montauk branch. Over the summer I was driving north on Wantagh Ave just approaching the traffic light at Sunrise Hwy, and saw a westbound NYAR freight going through. I forget the specifics, but it was sometime during the day. 2 engines and a handful of cars, maybe 6 cars or so. That was the only time I'd seen freight on that portion of the railroad though.