• NY City Third Rail Drawings?

• Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.
Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.

Moderators: 3rdrail, stilson4283, Otto Vondrak

by Storknest

Just to be clear, this is New York City third rail like on the the subway and SIRT, not NY Central.
I have tried to find a magzine that would have them but cannot.
I would like to make this type of track for a virtual simulator but need dimensional or scale drawings to go by.
I have no idea where to find them and would appreciate some guidance before creating IDs all over the net searching.
Figure this might work, I once got some drawings of New York Central under-contact third rail like what is used on Metro-North by asking once.
Thanks.
  by ApproachMedium

Look for anything related to the PRR and the building of Penn Station. All of PSNY, sunnyside and the lines to it were 3rd rail when the tunnels were built. This 3rd rail system was the over running type which both the LIRR and the NYCTA subway uses.
  by ex Budd man

Check wiki-pedia for info on third rails, both prototype and model.
  by Storknest

Thanks but nothing yet.
Only found one that looked like a cross section of the third rail but it was too small to read anything on it.
  by ApproachMedium

I would look for you but I don't have the time right now. I have a penn station book at my club I can borrow and get you some drawings.
  by Storknest

ApproachMedium wrote:I would look for you but I don't have the time right now. I have a penn station book at my club I can borrow and get you some drawings.
No rush, if you get the time, OK, but don't put yourself out.
Thanks.