Railroad Forums 

• NS stringline

• Discussion relating to the NS operations. Official web site can be found here: NSCORP.COM.
Discussion relating to the NS operations. Official web site can be found here: NSCORP.COM.
 #1573275  by Roscoe P. Coaltrain

Looking at those images, and the way number 2 main is so wavy on the downhill side of the derailment, it makes you wonder if the high train forces against the track towards the inside of the curve were just too much and caused a track buckle underneath the train, and the 'forced inward' heat kink ultimately triggered the stringline. Weather that day was hot and humid, derailment happened after 3 pm during the heat of the day. My guess is the track was wanting to expand and the train forces gave Main 2 just enough of an excuse to kink under the train.
 #1575315  by west point

Another stringline derailment. I don't care what the conditions are. A complete revisit of operation procedures is needed. What is the final cost of each of these incidents ?
 #1588376  by Engineer Spike

west point wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 10:09 pm Another stringline derailment. I don't care what the conditions are. A complete revisit of operation procedures is needed. What is the final cost of each of these incidents ?
In this PSR world, it does't matter what the cost was. If two strangling derailments have happened in the past year, and dozens, if not hundreds made it, then it was a success. Think of the number of unused locomotives and crews during the same period. NS is likely still money ahead.