• NS HO-7 through Rutherford

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

by Steve F45

ahh, so thats the call symbol for the pvl. What times do you go on duty and run up the line? Do you pick up the engine that site on the siding just south of woodridge statino?

by Bano

We leave then engine on the seamans lead just east of woodridge station across from reddy raw. We work M-F 8am - 4pm. We really don't start moving until 930am the earliest, we have to wait for the last EB passenger then wait for the MoW gang to set up. We usually finish up anywhere from 1pm to 230pm.

by bigkidtrainz31

hey guys,
i think H-07
that just went by here...
1:50pm... much earlier for a sunday & a longer than usual....
i think about 3-4 locos, ns black paint with 1 conrail blue....
peace,
bkt31

by bigkidtrainz31

hey guys,
i think H-07
just went by here...
1:50pm... much earlier for a sunday & a longer than usual....
i think about 3-4 locos, ns black paint with 1 conrail blue....
peace,
bkt31

by Bano

That sounds about right for a sunday run. They don't go out friday and saturday and when they go out on thursday night they miss the 32a he usually comes in at 10pm we are usually on our way to campbell hall ny by that time. So you got cars from 3 trains today.

by Steve F45

dammit, how long of a train?

Bano, i've wondered this for a long time and actually glad someone who works this line knows. Do you guys ever go into the south hackensack/teterboro industrial park anymore? I believe the line originated on the ford spur. And thats where you used to keep the loco overnight, right.

Sor for the amount of questions, but i've always been curious about this area since its only a few blocks from my house.

by bigkidtrainz31

hey dub, bano,
i agree, nice to have someone who knows first-hand.
i counted about 60-70 cars.
i usually chill out on my stoop or look
out my window...i'm down the block from
rutherford station, but i can never get enough of a
heads up to be trackside before it passes. from what i've encountered
the sunday train usually rumbles thru at night here, anywhere between
7-8pm...i'm thinking of gettin' a scanner...
peace,
bkt31

by Steve F45

bigkidtrainz31 wrote:hey dub, bano,
i agree, nice to have someone who knows first-hand.
i counted about 60-70 cars.
i usually chill out on my stoop or look
out my window...i'm down the block from
rutherford station, but i can never get enough of a
heads up to be trackside before it passes. from what i've encountered
the sunday train usually rumbles thru at night here, anywhere between
7-8pm...i'm thinking of gettin' a scanner...
peace,
bkt31
60 or 70, i really need to start listening to the njt frequency more often.

by Bano

Yes we still go into the fords lead we have I believe 1 or 2 customers still in there I think I am making a stop in there tomorrow to pick some boxcars up from a box company. I forget the names of these places I serve so many customer thats why I rely on my paper work. We work on frequency 161.400 NJ hoboken division AAR ch. 86. I reccommend a bearcat scanner they make the best ones on the market. I bought this antenna called railantenna or something like that it work really good from SI I pick up the dispatcher on the hoboken line but not the crews all the time. I usually use my handheld now to listen in.

by Bano

Yes we still go into the fords lead we have I believe 1 or 2 customers still in there I think I am making a stop in there tomorrow to pick some boxcars up from a box company. I forget the names of these places I serve so many customer thats why I rely on my paper work. We work on frequency 161.400 NJ hoboken division AAR ch. 86. I reccommend a bearcat scanner they make the best ones on the market. I bought this antenna called railantenna or something like that it work really good from SI I pick up the dispatcher on the hoboken line but not the crews all the time. I usually use my handheld now to listen in.

by Bano

2005Vdub;

We now keep the engines off the seamans lead just east of woodridge station next to reddy raw foods. we have 3 customers in the back over there. President Container, Beta Plastics, Atlantic Plywood. Beta get drills 3 days a week M-W-F. Plywood and President 2 times a week. Reddy Raw is a open door customer we do him everytime he gets a car in croxton. Also we do Foamex Chemical just west of union avenue. and Kulken brothers lumber up west more I forgot the town.

by bigkidtrainz31

hey fellas,
7:44pm, sunday, rutherford station,nj

on way to throwin out the trash heard southbound horns in the distance,figured it might be NJT but......there it was.
almost same train from earlier today.
it was beautiful....lol......finally got to see from beginning to end.
(didn't have my camera tho.....doh!)
loooked like the freshly painted SD70M-2 NS #2744 was the lead loco
followed by the older blue Conrail, and 2 other NS's (black/white paint scheme) not sure on the other loco models or numbers.
Appeared to be same power line-up and cars from this afternoon.
It slowed up to a stop for a few minutes cause a NJT was heading in northbound...

bano,dub.....was this train heading back to Croxton empty already ?

peace,
bkt31

by Bano

Yes the H07 crew starts at 1pm on Sundays only. Since NJT don't have much traffic on the weekends. From what you said you saw and I also checked the NS computer those engines are the 21m's power for the 430am mail train. Monday to Thursday the H07 crew goes on duty at 530pm and get out of the yard by 730pm when NJT gives up a gap.

by Bano

I hate the Sd70-m2's they are powerful don't hear me wrong but when I ran to harrisburg and are sitting for 8-12hrs in them they are uncomfortable and the horn is super loud. The Dash 9's and Evo Series are the best riding. The conrail sd60's 6000 series are rough to ride in when we hit the curve going into garfield station at 50mph they toss you around.

by bigkidtrainz31

yeah that horn was SUPER LOUD....didn't sound like
the regular GP40,etc NJT commuter train horn...
thanks for the list of customers too...very interesting
to see how all these cars tie to the customer....
i might add some of this stuff on my n-scale layout...