• NS Buffalo Line near GJ

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

by Railroaded

I noticed some ties piled up along the North side of the Buffalo Line, just South of CP GJ, there's also a ballast train sitting under the Rt. 400 bridge. Anyone know what they're up to and where they're up to it?

-B in B

by SST

About a month ago I observed track crews working the line along the double track portion from GJ east. As I sped past the line on Rt 400 it appeared that they were replacing rr ties.

My first reaction was I thought that this is it for the line. They're tearing it up.

by MarkT

RR'd, that ballast train was the first thing I saw on that line in a long time. In fact all winter that line was drifted over. Still, there is rail laid out a considerable length from GJ. I think all trains go into Buffalo on the Ebenezer line now.

SST, I can see that line going down. There's like no traffic and little on-line business. I know a year or so ago all the NS & CN trains on that line, and CN's staged at the GJ siding too. It was great. An after dinner bike ride along the line always got some action. Even if it was the NS cop! The siding is now only used to get to Ebenezer RC. The old B&O positional signals are classics too

I've always wondered why the Erie line gets so much support from RR fans, but nothing for this line. Myself living right by this line, that's my favorite.

by Kyle_Norek

As SST said the Buffalo Line recieved tie renewal south of Buffalo but NS also put in welded rail between CP GJ and CP 5 in June. Don't count the Buffalo Line out yet, considering the condition of the Tier (i.e. the Portage Bridge over Letchworth), all the work that the D&H line between Binghamton and Sunbury needs and the fact that the Buffalo Line is CTC'ed and all welded rail.

by johnpbarlow

Re: installing welded rail between CP-5 and CP-GJ, wasn't there speculation a few years back that NS might connect the NKP line to this track to get to Bison Yd and avoid using the congested CP-Draw?

by MarkT

Where is CP5?

by charlie6017

CP 5 is just west (railroad-wise) of Lake Ave grade crossing in Blasdell. You will see a truss bridge........it's right there.

by SST

So if I understand this correctly, CP5 truss bridges at Lake Ave, are the NYC Gardenville line bridges?

After installing the "new" wye at GJ, NS should invest in refurbishing the southern entrance of the Gardenville line at Lake Ave and run the row in between NS and CSX allowing access from both lines. If the Buffalo River crossing becomes unusable for some reason, both CSX and NS could use this line. NS and CSX are only 100 feet apart just south of Lake Ave. Wouldn't CSX passing over the Gardenville line push some cash to NS?

by Railroaded

FYI those are Pennsy signals on the Buffalo Line.

Anyway, The North facing truss bridges at Lake Ave., over the NS and CSX are originally from the "Terminal Railroad Of Buffalo" and were eventually taken over by the NYC as part of the Gardenville Branch. The South facing bridge over the NS used to lead to another bridge that curved Southward over the current CSX tracks and brought the Gardenville Branch Track One and Track Two down to the Mains and out towards Bayview.

The NS Youngstown Line (NKP Main/Pennsy Chataqua Branch) came North from Lake Ave. and passed under the NYC Gardenville Branch and met up with the Pennsy with an Eastbound leg heading into West Seneca that ran paralell to the LV Lehigh and Lake Erie Branch until it crossed Abott Rd.

The NS would have to do some property buying to get access to the current Buffalo Line and merge the NKP Main into it with a rising curve or up-and-over ROW with a bridge. The only other option would be to rebuild the old Pennsy ROW from the curve off the NKP Main, heading East and rebuild the bridge over Electric Ave. I "think" these properties were sold in the Conrail days and would have to be bought back. Developement seems to be happening near the Electric Ave. areas and it may be too late.

-B in B