• Noticed/Questioned Major Delays, Annulments, Reroutes

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

by Noel Weaver

Further on train 98 from yesterday left Fayetteville, NC 2:28 PM which puts it 13 hours and 18 minutes late.
I guess this is truly the train ride through "hell". I hope the people on here do not have important events to attend or
important connections. I don't even want to think about the conditions aboard this train at this point. When you get on a
passenger train these days you don't know whether it will be a good trip or a bad trip.
Noel Weaver
  by Gilbert B Norman

If Amtrak has any expectation of having these passengers return, they should have put all assenting passengers Richmond and Northward off at Jacksonville and offered them air transportation and hotels if needed.

While we're at it; bill all "passenger inconvenience" costs against Landstar - "see 'em in Court" if need be. While I have no knowledge what limits they require their owner operators to have (last time i checked a Motor Carrier holding 48 state interstate authority is only required to have $500K Public Liability - good luck getting ME behind the wheel of my own auto with only THAT level of coverage), they themselves surely have Umbrella insurance "up to the sky".

60 Mass, are you reading?
  by Noel Weaver

The train ride through hell is still moving, 98 left Washington at 10:06 PM only 14 hours and 2 minutes late. In my opinion,
they should have given the passengers on that train an option to spend the night in Washington at Amtrak's expense and
take any train to New York on Sunday rather than dumping them in Penn Station in the middle of the night with connections
anywhere unlikely until morning anyway. They should do their utmost to recover all of their expenses in connection with
this unfortunate trip from the trucking outfit in Florida. The passengers on the train ought to sue that outfit too but I do
not know if this is possible or not.
Noel Weaver
  by tarheelman

Does anybody know why train 79 isn't showing up on Amtrak's reservations screen for three of the four weekends in September? (Train 80 shows up, but not train 79.)
  by Noel Weaver

Train 98 which was due in NYP at 11:34 AM on Saturday, August 23rd finally arrived in Penn Station at 2:12 AM on Sunday,
August 24th which is 14 hours and 38 minutes late.
Noel Weaver
  by raftingguy

I was on 48 today from Chicago to Utica. When we got off the train in Utica, I noticed that we had either 5 or 6 engines at the head of the train. I assumed maybe this was just relocating some engines, but was curious if anyone knew what was up.
  by raftingguy

I should have also mentioned that we were nearly on-time into Erie, PA and only 20 minutes down out of there. However, things slowly deteriorated from there until we were almost 1 1/2 hours late into Utica. There was some single track near Rochester that I assumed was due to some track work. We ran into another delay when I think our train had to flag an intersection somewhere between Syracuse and Utica. I'm not sure what the problem was there either.
  by shlustig

#20 Northbound Crescent of the 26th dropped 4' ATL to CLT, and another 4' CLT to CVS; now figured into WAS 9' 40" late (7:40PM instead of 10AM).

Does anybody know the reason(s) for the delay?
  by Noel Weaver

More delays in Florida. Train s 91 and 97 were about 20 minutes apart at Sebring. Here at Fort Lauderdale I saw both of
them coupled together running southbound. The combined train left Fort Lauderdale at 10:06 PM. It appears to me that
they were coupled up somewhere between Sebring and West Palm Beach. Maybe 91 or 97's engine crew ran out of time and
there was no other choice. I waited at a local crossing and was shocked to see a train of this size.
I am glad that I wasn't on either of these trains as a part of the crew or as a passenger.
Noel Weaver
  by hi55us

Noel Weaver wrote:More delays in Florida. Train s 91 and 97 were about 20 minutes apart at Sebring. Here at Fort Lauderdale I saw both of
them coupled together running southbound. The combined train left Fort Lauderdale at 10:06 PM. It appears to me that
they were coupled up somewhere between Sebring and West Palm Beach. Maybe 91 or 97's engine crew ran out of time and
there was no other choice. I waited at a local crossing and was shocked to see a train of this size.
I am glad that I wasn't on either of these trains as a part of the crew or as a passenger.
Noel Weaver
that must of been interesting. It must of been a pain to unload the passengers and baggage @ the stations.
  by GGFLA

I was on the Meteor that day - we were about 2hrs late heading into Sebring when we slowed down to a crawl. Continued crawling along after Sebring for about another hour before they let us know that there was a signals failure almost all the way to WPB caused by some rough weather, etc... Then they informed us that our engine crew was nearing their time limit, but that the Star (whose crew had plenty of time left) was waiting just ahead (they must have been running a bit late too...) and that we would couple on the back and be one big happy train! After coupling, the signals came back on-line and we got back up to speed (thank goodness!)

And yes, it was a fun time getting off in WPB - in a monsoon no less!
  by shlustig

Does anyone out there know why #355 (9th) on the westbound Detroit corridor dropped 5' between Michigan City and Hammond-Whiting?????????

Arrived in CHI @ 3:30AM.
  by John Laubenheimer

I noticed that #3(10) lost over 4 hours between Raton and Las Vegas, NM. Unlikely to be freight related on this section of the run. Any ideas? Must have been equiment related, but strange!
  by AMTK1007

I believe 3 was involved in a fatal accident
  by Chessie GM50

AMTK1007 wrote:I believe 3 was involved in a fatal accident
Not a good day in railroading. A fatality on Amtrak, and two fatal Metrolink crashes.