Railroad Forums 

• Northampton milepost on Canal Line?

• Discussion relating to the NH and its subsidiaries (NYW&B, Union Freight Railroad, Connecticut Company, steamship lines, etc.). up until its 1969 inclusion into the Penn Central merger. This forum is also for the discussion of efforts to preserve former New Haven equipment, artifacts and its history. You may also wish to visit www.nhrhta.org for more information.
Discussion relating to the NH and its subsidiaries (NYW&B, Union Freight Railroad, Connecticut Company, steamship lines, etc.). up until its 1969 inclusion into the Penn Central merger. This forum is also for the discussion of efforts to preserve former New Haven equipment, artifacts and its history. You may also wish to visit www.nhrhta.org for more information.
 #1575247  by unichris

Does anyone know the official milepost for Northampton on the former Canal Line?

Someone has painted "NHV 97" on a granite marker near the invented rail trail tunnel connection with the Mass Central maybe a half mile north of the train station.

I could believe that for the active CT river tracks behind the fence, but it seems dubious for the Canal Line whose successor rail trail I suspect it was painted to decorate (it indicates Boston on the other face, to which there is no longer any service but only hopes of a future trail). Riding the canal north recently I only got to the lower mid 80's, including a substantially indirect detour in Plainville if a perhaps slightly shorter road route through Southampton.

Would be great to know if my hunch is right that the post is wrong, better yet if there's something like an official table I could point to and try to persuade them to change it.
Attachments:
IMG_20210704_171412728.jpg
IMG_20210704_171412728.jpg (2.19 MiB) Viewed 823 times
 #1575292  by Red Wing

According to The Rail Lines of Southern New England by Ronald Dale Karr, Northampton was 77 Miles from New Haven and North of there was the Shelburne Falls Extension and the rail trail tunnel is what 1 mile from the Union Station.
Hope that helps
 #1575299  by unichris

Red Wing wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 6:40 pm According to The Rail Lines of Southern New England by Ronald Dale Karr, Northampton was 77 Miles from New Haven
Thank you!

Also just found a picture of a 1922 timetable on page 29 of a Southington area document stating 76.4 miles.

http://ahs-inc.biz/legacy/Southington/T ... igures.pdf

I guess that Southington-Plainville road detour went further out of the way than I thought, since that's about five miles shorter.
 #1575301  by Red Wing

according to the same book,Hartford & New Haven is 62 miles from New Haven to Springfield and the Connecticut River is 17 miles from Springfield to Northampton or 79 miles total. Sounds like someone put the numbers backwards.
 #1575322  by unichris

Backwards actually was an early guess, seems that's looking more likely.

Does leave me wondering which railroad's milepost it is was. Or if the trail folks invented it or found it somewhere and repurposed it.