• North Yard - SLC Fast Running

• Discussion about the Union Pacific operations past and present. Official site can be found here: UPRR.COM.
Discussion about the Union Pacific operations past and present. Official site can be found here: UPRR.COM.

Moderator: GOLDEN-ARM

by ljeppson

It's been taking some getting used to, i.e. fast UP freight movements through North Yard - SLC. Yard throats are super-elevated to accomodate the speeds. So we North Yard observers see lots of fast action from UP and UTA Frontrunner.

by Burner

what do you call super fast?

by ljeppson

It's hard to judge, but I'd say up to 40, which is incredibly fast relative to what used to be the rule (about 10). Most of the "speeding" freights are in fact run-throughs from either the intermodal facility or Roper Yard, but there still running through the yard. I grew up next to North Yard, and these speeds haven't been seen since the UP cities fleet ended with Amtrak.

by Burner

Maybe i'm missing the point but these trains are on a main thru a yard and are only going 40?

We blast thru the middle of Beverly yard here in iowa doing 70...

Yard tracks north and south of the mains

Go thru Marshalltown and Boone at 50 also...

by ljeppson

Well, I guess it's all relative to what you're used to. I'm only familiar with yards in the Salt Lake area where slow speeds have been the rule. A major realignment of the Grants tower interlocking to accomodate Frontrunner has also allowed for greatly increased yard speeds. But in this, I admit to my own provinciality.

by UPRR engineer

Does the FR stop close to Lagoon there buddy? Might be my only reason to ride it.

by ljeppson

Yup, the Farmington Frontrunner station is close to Lagoon.

www.utahtransit.us/ride15.htm

by UPRR engineer

Thanks for the info buddy, i appreciate it.

by slchub

Track 3 is 30, the others are 40.