• North Philadelphia "Transportation Center"

• Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.
Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.

Moderator: AlexC

by jfrey40535

SEPTA was boasting today in the Metro about their plans for the N. Philadelphia subway station rehab. Definitely long overdue.

I was very shocked to see that they are going to reopen the concourse all the way down to the NPhila Amtrak station. Usually they do the opposite, close concourses and subway entrances. I don't know (and I'm not sure if I want to know) the pricetag of the project.

Anyone know if it is going to include any upgrades to the Reading Station? This area really needs a shot in the arm, hopefully this helps. There is a large building at Broad & Lehigh that looks like its being renovated, hopefully for offices.

Opinions everyone.....

by Wdobner

Heh, they'll no doubt start on the station in September, just AFTER I stop using it every day. It is good to hear SEPTA is rebuilding that station as I'd wager it's the worst in the system by a long shot.

by rrbluesman

why the descision to reopen the connection to N. Phila Amtrak all of the sudden? Does this mean N. Phila Station is going to begin seeing more trains?

by jfrey40535

Geez...I forgot to mention...the article also said they were going to rehab the CHW N. Philadelphia platform as well! That is a shocker, I figured they were dying to close that one. Guess not!

Im guessing they're opening the concourses because alot of subway riders shop at the Pathmark at the N Phila station, and they're tired of lugging all the way up to Lehigh to catch the subway. I'd like to say they're recognizing that there is an increased demand there, but that's too much credit for SEPTA.

by Launcher

I like to see some action taken here. I use North Broad and North Philadelphia to get from Norristown to Doylestown and from New York City to Doylestown without having to see center city Phila. The connections are often hustled and it's a rough walk but not as rough as sitting at 30th street for an hour.