Railroad Forums 

• Norfolk Southern Hiring Process

• General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.
General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.

Moderator: thebigc

#1283624  by BigDan

I got my conditional offer on July 18th for NS, I’ll be out of the Columbus, OH intermodal terminal. I have my background check and physical on Friday. I went to the playground toady to see if I could do the “hang test” I couldn’t find any monkey bars with the rungs high enough. Most only went just past waist level. One question, when we do the hang test do we hang from the hand rail or a foot rung? I ask because I am a big guy, but I have upper body strength and leg strength so I was wondering how we do it? I tried to find a video, but couldn’t.
 #1283724  by chris467

Went to a hiring session on 7-18-14, and was lucky enough to get an interview. End of the interview they said "you'll hear from us"... Been almost a week and haven't heard anything since then, no e-mail or phone call
 #1283802  by BigDan

I had the conditional offer the next day after the hiring session and interview. I go for my background check and physical today. It has all moved faster than everyone has said.
 #1283912  by BigDan

No you don't have to pay for either. The Background check paperwork took about 20 minutes then the officer at my location she was pretty cool and gave me the low down on stuff such as furloughs and other yards to try to get onto if one happens. She also told me to try to work my way up to management. The physical was very easy pee in a cup had to get the hair from my chest so a hot nurse had to shave it off lol, did a hearing test, doc came in checked my ears, mouth, eyes checked my reflexes, checked my strength, check for hernia, no turn my head and cough lol, checked my heart, blood pressure, pulse, and said he didn't see why I couldn't work for the railroad and signed my papers. The officer said she should find out about my background by next Wednesday! Stuff is moving quick. Out of 26 people I was the only one chosen for the conductor position. This was my first time applying too.
 #1283979  by Dewoc19

Hang Test - stand on a ladder fastened to the building, hang off the ladder with one arm fully extended, other arm giving hand signals for about 1 1/2 minutes, then switch arms and repeat. You are not allowed to regrip or move your hand in any manner, if you do you fail, go to the end of the line and retest after everyone has else has tested, same test again, same rules. Fail again you get to retry the next day in the morning before classes start, fail a 3rd time and they tell you right on the spot to pack your stuff and exit the premises, you dont get the job and wont be hired for any other NS positions
 #1284043  by cockerhamsg

Dewoc19 wrote:There is no guarantee at the NS, you dont work, you dont get paid. I know this first hand, only RR without a guaranteed conductors board
This depends on your division, probably even your terminal, and whether you work the yard or road. Not a system wide thing.
 #1284044  by cockerhamsg

BigDan wrote:No you don't have to pay for either. The Background check paperwork took about 20 minutes then the officer at my location she was pretty cool and gave me the low down on stuff such as furloughs and other yards to try to get onto if one happens. She also told me to try to work my way up to management. The physical was very easy pee in a cup had to get the hair from my chest so a hot nurse had to shave it off lol, did a hearing test, doc came in checked my ears, mouth, eyes checked my reflexes, checked my strength, check for hernia, no turn my head and cough lol, checked my heart, blood pressure, pulse, and said he didn't see why I couldn't work for the railroad and signed my papers. The officer said she should find out about my background by next Wednesday! Stuff is moving quick. Out of 26 people I was the only one chosen for the conductor position. This was my first time applying too.
Lol at work up to management. When you're working the ground you're likely going to figure out that you never ever want to be management. But that isn't true for all. Some want to have set hours, more or less, and have heat or air conditioning instead of kicking rocks. But it'll take getting a taste of all that for you to decide. You'll see what I mean soon enough.
 #1284057  by BigDan

I plan on going into this job the same way i have all others! Keep my head down, mouth shut, learn as much as possible, and earn the respect of the people i work with. I traveled all over North and South America. I always loved a job outside even though they were far and few between. One guy said I was like a caged animal when I was back at headquarters working in the building. That was my first factory job and my last. I hated being inside all the time! I was finally relieved when I worked my way into outside service and was able to get out of the building often. I truely believe a job is what you make of it. Just do it the way its supposed to be done snd make your money!
 #1284183  by BigDan

One last hang test question. do we have gloves on or not for it? I found an abandoned railcar and have tried it with no gloves. I am able to do it, but my left hand cramped right after I got down.
 #1285386  by cockerhamsg

BigDan wrote:One last hang test question. do we have gloves on or not for it? I found an abandoned railcar and have tried it with no gloves. I am able to do it, but my left hand cramped right after I got down.
You WILL perform the hang test with gloves. This is not an option. Anytime you touch anything on the railyard, you will have gloves or you will be snatched up by management.
 #1286442  by chris467

After not hearing back from NS for about a month, I applied again and was invited to another hiring session. Wondering if I'm only one who's done this that quickly or am I just jumping the gun ?