• Norfolk Southern Heritage Units.

• Discussion relating to the NS operations. Official web site can be found here: NSCORP.COM.
Discussion relating to the NS operations. Official web site can be found here: NSCORP.COM.
  by Mr.S

Gadfly wrote:
terminalfanatic wrote:That has got to be the most gorgeous engine I have ever seen!

Yeah..........the Green 'n Gold one. Southern Gives a Green Light to Innovation!!! ;) :) I know..........I'm partial.

GF
I'm partial to that one as well as SOUTHERN SERVES THE SOUTH!!!
I've seen both on 50 foot boxcars.

Mr. S
  by Gadfly

Remember, too, that Southern is a successful suvivor in a cutthroat market that swallowed up the others. It gripes me to see these people gloat and fawn over some of the fallen flags and how "wonderful" they were---the key being: WERE!~ :) Anytime you see a program about railroads its always about the Mighty Pennsy, Noo Yawk Central, or the Milwaukee Road. Southern scarcely gets even a blip of a mention despite being one of the most successful, if NOT the largest, in the USA. It boasts of MANY, MANY innovations that they either contributed to, OR outright invented. But OH NO!! It's the oh-so-great Pennsylvania or Santa Fe or some such--many of whom are no longer around or wentr bust. Southern was not one of those. At merger, which Norfolk Southern is celebrating now, Southern was (and remains) one of the two MAIN corporations who joined together to meet those market concerns. Did you know, for example, that Southern Railway was not ONLY one of the top 5 railroads in the country at merger, but had remained consistently listed as one of the BEST-managed corporations EVER outside of railroads--a feat that was rarely achieved among railroads? Did you know that it had the best operating ratio in the country consistently? Did you know that their Roadway Shops produced many maintenance inventions and updates that were sold to Tamper and Kershaw, et. al? And yet it is not "worthy" of mention by fans that bubble and coo over bankrupted giants. Do you EVER see Southern Railway on the history channel? NO!

So people like me are justifiably proud to see that familiar Green & Gold passenger livery because we lived under the Southern banner, and we made money from their generous stock purchase plan. We were proud that Southern didn't have to answer to anyone, or beg hat in hand for help. It was a dignified, smart, TOUGH corporation that made $$$$ all its life. Even during the Depression, Southern Railway ran a deficit but managed to pull thru that tough time with shrewd management and strict discipline.

So when the "Heritage" locomotives come to town, I will dig out my hat given me years ago while still at Southern, and wear it proudly while it matches the SR engine. "Southern Railway-Look Ahead, Look South- Piedmont Division" :) I will celebrate all these locomotives, but my biggest grin will be for and because of SR and the memories it gave me. Good and bad.

GF

J
  by terminalfanatic

Do you EVER see Southern Railway on the history channel? NO!
How often do you see any eastern railroad on the History Channel?

Reading Lines 1067, Norfolk Southern's twelfth heritage unit, basks in the sunshine outside the shop in Muncie.
http://railpictures.net/photo/398644
  by Jeff Smith

Beauty:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
  by toolmaker

What Beautiful shot I want to see all of them this summer. Imagine running this Reading with a BMR and North Shore unit on freight. Those lucky enough to see have these new units, my congratulations.
  by Bruce

Great looking locomotive ,I hope the CNJ locomotive is soon
  by MEC407

by scottychaos

Erie! http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=398802

There is only one thing I can say:

oh, and also:

and wow! wow wow wow wow wow wow..
definitely my new favorite! (sorry LV..no hard feelings, you know I love you too)

Scot
  by blockline4180

Got word from a friend that the Lehigh Valley unit will go back to the paint shop (don't know which one), and get a touching up on the LV diamond on the nose as well as safety stripes...
  by Jeff Smith

Some more from the NS Facebook page:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
  by charlie6017

Again.......the EMD units look SO much better!

Charlie
  by German Engineer

The Virginian Unit is the greatest of all. I wish I could see it in action.
  by bluedash2

charlie6017 wrote:Again.......the EMD units look SO much better!

Charlie
Charlie, I agree. This makes the RDG and Virginian units the 2 best looking units so far.
  by Windseeker1

Been a while since a new unvieling. Family portrait day is drawing near with quite a few to go. Looking forward to the Lackawanna unit myself.