• Non-revenue derailment at Smithsonian

• Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.
Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.

Moderators: mtuandrew, therock, Robert Paniagua

by litz

Back to the original incident ...

It really sounds like the switch opened underneath the train mid-passage, as the descriptions seem to indicate the front and rear of the train were still on the rail, with the middle part derailed.
  by JDC

Slightly-off topic, though it still relates to the derailment in the sense of two back-to-back days of terrible Metro service: Metro is going to offer a credit to any rider on the B/O/S lines that used a SmarTrip card for their trip today, 8.7.15, because of the terrible service levels. http://www.wmata.com/about_metro/news/P ... aseID=5950
  by Sand Box John

"litz"
Back to the original incident ...

It really sounds like the switch opened underneath the train mid-passage, as the descriptions seem to indicate the front and rear of the train were still on the rail, with the middle part derailed.

I don't think so. If said had happened the destruction would have been similar to what happen on 01 13 1982.
  by srepetsk

07:38, 8/8/2015: Orange/Blue Line: Single tracking btwn Federal Center SW & McPherson Sq due to late-clearing track work. Delays possible in both directions.
09:37, 8/8/2015: Orange/Blue Line: No longer single tracking. Residual delays continue in both directions due to earlier track work near Smithsonian.
10:08, 8/8/2015: Orange/Blue Line: Normal service has resumed between McPherson Square & Federal Center SW.

Sounds like WMATA had to get back into the interlocking to do extra work and ended up getting out late. Wonder when we'll know the cause of the derailment?
  by DiscoveryAnalysis

Based on the information released, I'm leaning toward a wheel climb incident, where one or more wheels weren't correctly trued and/or there was insufficient wheel rail lubrication at the interlocking.

I believe more than likely the trailing truck of the second car climbed and derailed & pulled the lead truck of the 3rd car off and the trailing truck of the third, lead truck of the fourth followed suit before the train came to a rest.

I believe the derailment occurred at switch 3B which controls movement from TRK 2 to TRK 1 heading Eastbound.

According to the diagram I have, the D02 interlocking is fitted with number 8 turnouts that are unguarded. If this is indeed the case then it would be a repeat of the 2007 Mt. Vernon Sq derailment.
  by Sand Box John

"DiscoveryAnalysis"
According to the diagram I have, the D02 interlocking is fitted with number 8 turnouts that are unguarded. If this is indeed the case then it would be a repeat of the 2007 Mt. Vernon Sq derailment.

If you are looking at the track schematic in the back of the Rule Book I would take that with a grain of salt. The turnouts in the D02 interlocking were replace during the Presidents Day weekend in 2011.
  by DiscoveryAnalysis

Sand Box John wrote:"DiscoveryAnalysis"

If you are looking at the track schematic in the back of the Rule Book I would take that with a grain of salt. The turnouts in the D02 interlocking were replace during the Presidents Day weekend in 2011.
What about this possibility? As the lead axle takes the switch outside wheel climbs right at the switch point just prior to the guard, drags the truck ahead off, and the following two trucks climb/dragged respectively right at the point. That would leave one truck just beyond 3B, and two cars in the interlocking. That could keep the forward most derailed car from fouling D-1.......
  by Sand Box John

"DiscoveryAnalysis"
What about this possibility? As the lead axle takes the switch outside wheel climbs right at the switch point just prior to the guard, drags the truck ahead off, and the following two trucks climb/dragged respectively right at the point. That would leave one truck just beyond 3B, and two cars in the interlocking. That could keep the forward most derailed car from fouling D-1.......

I'm not even going to speculate on a cause with no evidence to back it up.

WMATA had a similar problem with a turnout in the New Carrollton yard lead some years ago. Cars of various series would derail on the turnout. Gauge of track within the turnout was within specs, gauge and profile of wheels on cars were within specs. Never saw anything that said what was causing the derailments.
  by srepetsk

WMATA is holding a press conference today at 4pm discussing last Thursday's derailment.

EDIT: Some tweets

@AdamTuss BREAKING-Metro will say cause of last week's derailment related to "wide track gauge." In other words, tracks not aligned properly #wmata

@JackieBensen NEW: Aug. 6th @wmata derailment due to "broken and missing" fastener that caused tracks to go out of alignment. @nbcwashington @NBC4DC

@AdamTuss What's worse, the wide track condition was detected by special equipment in EARLY JULY and it was not fixed. #wmata @nbcwashington

@AdamTuss Metro had to order emergency track inspections systemwide after the derailment #wmata @nbcwashington

@AdamTuss I'm told suspensions coming and even firings #wmata @nbcwashington
  by JDC

srepetsk wrote:WMATA is holding a press conference today at 4pm discussing last Thursday's derailment.

EDIT: Some tweets

@AdamTuss BREAKING-Metro will say cause of last week's derailment related to "wide track gauge." In other words, tracks not aligned properly #wmata

@JackieBensen NEW: Aug. 6th @wmata derailment due to "broken and missing" fastener that caused tracks to go out of alignment. @nbcwashington @NBC4DC

@AdamTuss What's worse, the wide track condition was detected by special equipment in EARLY JULY and it was not fixed. #wmata @nbcwashington

@AdamTuss Metro had to order emergency track inspections systemwide after the derailment #wmata @nbcwashington

@AdamTuss I'm told suspensions coming and even firings #wmata @nbcwashington
Adam Tuss is reporting that, because of this incident, suspensions and firings are forthcoming. https://twitter.com/AdamTuss/status/631556097803964417
  by srepetsk

-Average $4.75 refund to Silver/Orange/Blue riders (due to Friday's system performance) for a cost of over $750,000 to WMATA
-Train cars were operating normally, train operation was also nominal
-Wide gauge of track, resulted in the derailment
-< AdamTuss> [4a] Metro says customers may face delays in the days ahead if abnormal track conditions are detected. Wow. So issues with this. #wmata
-System-wide inspection ordered of every mile of track in addition to safety stand-downs & additional training
-Track fasteners were either loose or missing, per Requa. Issue was detected earlier in July but not addressed soon enough.
-Wide gauge issue was detected July 9th.
-Issue detected was a "code black" wide gauge deficiency & should have been taken out of service immediately - Troup
-Point of derail was not over a switch; was out of interlocking -Troup

And....that's that. Fun.
  by tommyboy6181

But, will the union allow WMATA to fire some people? After all, the union forced the train operator in the Woodley Park accident back on the job after he had been fired.