• Non CSX power on the CSX Riverline

• Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.
Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.

Moderator: MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

by fl9m2004

I remember once about 4 years ago I saw a Union Pacific engine leading 2 csx's and 60 cars. I really don't get to the river line that much. But has anybody seen one of the centienal Union Pacific engines from the Olympic trains they used to run
  by waldwickrailfan

fwilson01 wrote:Ive noticed an increase in loads being pulled entirely by non-csx power on the river line over the last few months. This seems especially true when the load is all tank cars. There is a daily all-tanker CP power northbound and once a week or so I spot a BNSF power northbound as well.

Anyone know what the uptick is attributed to? The only guess i can come up with is that with the recent negative press involving tank crashes CSX may be requiring all-tank loads to be carried by the destination railroads power in case of an accident on CSX territory - but thats just a guess.

Thanks for the help in advance guys
They are run-through power, CSX only takes off power if the railroad (ex: BNSF) wants the engine back
  by DanD3815

The crude oil trains normally have run through power, a lot of the times I've seen NS units on them.
  by waldwickrailfan

DanD3815 wrote:The crude oil trains normally have run through power, a lot of the times I've seen NS units on them.
9/10 it's BNSF
NS comes every so often, maybe once a month or so
  by mmi16

CSX has been using ANY power it can get it''s hands on. CSX, NS, UP, BNSF, KCS, TFM, DME, CN, CP and a plethora of long term leasers from CEFX, HLMX and several others - if it runs, loads and stops there is a use for it.
  by DogBert

The few times I was along the river line last year, I saw bnsf and cp power on oil trains. it seemed more rare to see csx power on the oil than foreign.