• No track power after train runs over switch

• Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.
Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.

Moderators: 3rdrail, stilson4283, Otto Vondrak

by deandremouse

I installed this Atlas code 83 Left switch
and everytime a train runs over (this is in DCC) it loses power when it goes into the siding or it loses power if its on the main to the right (Bottom in this picture) of the switch.

Do I have to wire it or what should I do?
  by Cadet57

Clean out the frog and the rails around it, it has ballast in it, I can see it from here.
  by green_elite_cab

Its not just the frog either. it sounds more like your points a dirty. Usually, its just regular old oxidation that causes this, but in your case you did a messy job. clean the area on the side of the rails and points where they touch. the points get power from touching the stock rails.
  by BobLI

Check the small metal tabs where the movable points meet the solid rails. Sometimes they are loose and will not carry the current from the rails to the movable points. I've had that problem once or twice and it was a puzzler at first.
  by deandremouse

I really should have used a ballast spreader.

Thanks I cleaned the points and surrounding rails. I'm going to clean it one more time to remove any scenic cement still present.