• NMRA Question...

• Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.
Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.

Moderators: 3rdrail, stilson4283, Otto Vondrak

by Komachi

Okay, so...

I've decided to join the National Model Railway Association. On the mail-in application form, there's the membership fee for the Association, and then there's the section for choosing one's regional/division affilation. So, when figuring in your membership, it's x for the NMRA and y to belong to the regional chapter?

I understand that the association is divided up into regions... but, am I understanding correctly that you have to pay that extra fee to be a member of your given division as well? Or, am I mis-reading that? (It isn't that clear, to me, anyway, on the website.)

Anyone care to straighten this out for me? It would be appreciated.
  by Roger Hensley

It is not necessary to subscribe to a Region.

I do not subscribe to the Midwest Region. I am a member of the local division and the National. I just don't get the Region's newsletter. In my case, I do get notified of the newsletter being posted to the Region's website. I can go there to see it if I wish.

It is a matter of the local Region asking you to support their newsletter. You do not have to. However, it might be good to subscribe to see what you get.
  by Otto Vondrak

When you join the NMRA, you automatically become a member of the region and division that you live in. You only pay a little extra if you car to subscribe to their newsletter (or anyone else's newsletter).

Most divisions print a monthly newsletter (and try to collect "dues" separate from your NMRA membership for it), most Regions print a quarterly newsletter (and collect extra for that). You can also subscribe to the monthly NMRA magazine for an extra fee, too.

-otto-
  by Komachi

Yeah, I'm going to get the newsletter/publication along with the membership, at least for the first year. If I feel it's not worth it when the time comes to renew, then I'll decline to continue receiving it.

I was just currious if the additional fee for the regional membership was required or not. I'll join both to see how it goes. And, again, make my decision on further membership when renewal time rolls around.

Appreciate the input, guys. :-D