• NMED? Northern Maine Jct?

• Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.
Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.

Moderator: MEC407

by NellsChoo

We have heard the freight symbol NMED lately. Are we hearing things, or is this train coming from Northern Maine (Jct) on the way to East Deerfield? Is this something new or just one we've missed all these years?

And while we are on the subject, just what IS Northern Maine Jct? I have seen it only once while passing in a car. Was this an actual junction? With whom?

JD

by B&MYoshi

From Petlick:

Northern Maine Jct is MP 63.71 in District 1. It is an interchange with BAR, now MMA.

by GP40MC 1116

I've heard it as well when listening to District 2, and i've been scratching my head if it's a new train...

by emd_16645

And while we are on the subject, just what IS Northern Maine Jct? I have seen it only once while passing in a car. Was this an actual junction? With whom?
Northern Maine Junction serves several purposes for Guilford. First off, its an interchange point with the MMA. Second, its a stopping location for all trains going through. To the east runs BAMA/MABA, the mainline run to Mattawamkeag, and the local to the Verso paper mill at Bucksport. To the west runs a single daily train. This train has historically been known as NMPO, but has also operated as NMWA and now NMED.

Northern Maine Junction extends on the mainline from somewhere between MP 61 and 62 to CPF 66, which is the easternmost signal on the GRS main.

My question is why the name switch? From what little I've seen, a majority of the traffic off this train is routed over CSX on train Q-427.

by cpf354

emd_16645 wrote:
Northern Maine Junction serves several purposes for Guilford. First off, its an interchange point with the MMA. Second, its a stopping location for all trains going through. To the east runs BAMA/MABA, the mainline run to Mattawamkeag, and the local to the Verso paper mill at Bucksport. To the west runs a single daily train. This train has historically been known as NMPO, but has also operated as NMWA and now NMED.

Northern Maine Junction extends on the mainline from somewhere between MP 61 and 62 to CPF 66, which is the easternmost signal on the GRS main.

My question is why the name switch? From what little I've seen, a majority of the traffic off this train is routed over CSX on train Q-427.
I've noticed that all westbounds east of Rigby now are officially destined for East Deerfield, which I think has something to do with air brake test compliance. It probably relieves Rigby from having to do Class 1 brake tests. One less car knocker for them, maybe? As for NMED, they would probably have at least one block of cars for East Deerfield, along with the Barbers (Worcester).

by Skullitor

NMED (Bangor,ME) Northern Maine Junction to East Deerfield,Ma. Daily road freight from Bangor,Me in Dist.1 It used to be BAED.
Billy Leazer W.F.P.T.

by Jayjay1213

A trains destination does not have anything to do with the brake test, that is a myth. The air slip just signifies that the cars were tested in accordance with the CFR and are good until they are due for another test, IE 1500 miles or whatever it is. If that was the case, then railroads like NS and CSX that use numbers for there train symbols, would have to have some documents stating what all those whacky symbols mean. Also you wouldn't see examples like on the NS, the 14G makes a pick up at Abrams yard using a copy of the 38G's brake slip. 38G goes Allentown, PA to Camden, NJ, but those cars it left for the 14G (Conway, PA to Morrisville, PA) are now going to Morrisville, PA, all that matters is that the cars were tested according to the standards set forward by the CFR for a Class 1 brake test.

Up in Rigby, T&E crews do the air tests, car department just fixes the shops, but that could have changed, I know thats the way it was in April.