Railroad Forums 

• NJT Monthly Passes—questions

• Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.
Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

#23743  by F40

Final word on monthlies:

1. If the conductor on the ACL train states that the MET-NY monthly is not valid, what do I do?

2. Is there such thing as "peak" and "off-peak" extension of journey tickets or do you just show the pass and the conductor charges you with the regular fare?

#23874  by ajt

Always do what the traincrew directs, then take it up with customer service or the refund dept if you believe you've been wronged.

There is no peak/off-peak distinction; extension of journey is always the OW fare. And pre-purchasing an RTX yourself and presenting it as your own extension of journey in conjunction with another ticket or pass is not permitted by the policies.
 #23906  by AKelley728

I have an old Metropark-NYP RTX ticket. I'm heading up to NYP with my wife tomorrow. However, we're getting on in Hamilton. How do I handle the Hamilton to Metropark portion? Can I buy a Ham-Met RTX ticket at a TVM to handle the difference?

#23960  by Jtgshu

Sure, you could do that, and you would save yourself a few bucks too instead of buying the extension of journey ticket on the train, which would be a one way from Ham to MP, and the same going home.

As long as the ticket (MP to NYP) isn't over a year old, its still valid.

#24163  by F40

So I can buy my own extension of journey ticket Jtgshu? Or is it invalid according to ajt?

#24192  by Jtgshu

Off hand, I don't remember that rule that AJT is reffering to, but in thinking about it, i guess technically it would be invalid, as you are "extending your journey" on each trip, adn that can't be discounted, as you can only buy OW extension of journeys, and terminal fees and all that jazz on the train. I can only sell you what the train will be doing, and what you will be on my train for.

But, in reality, if you give me a RTX from where you got on at, to where your monthly picks up from, I'm happy!!!

#24430  by F40

Here's a sample:

If the MET-NYP monthly is valid to Waldwick, my extension of journey from Waldwick to PJ is $10.25 OW x 2 = $20.50. This costs the same as a RTX from Metuchen to PJ! So am I getting ripped off with the monthly?

#24519  by Jtgshu

Waldwick to PJ and any station west of Suffern are MTA fares, and really can't be compared to NJT fares, as there is a different fare structure and prices on the PJ line, and the fares on teh Main and Bergen lines are held down accordingly, so its not more expensive from NJT stops then it is from MTA stops.

#24757  by F40

And for the ACL, the terminal on the monthly is not taken into acct right?

#24818  by thebigc

JT, you should know better! You can't use a RTX on top of another RTX!! Only one discount fare per ride.

Also, for the last time, it's not the zone of the monthly(or weekly), it's the price!! The zones DO NOT correspond between divisions!!! Just another example of NJT making my job easier :(

#24876  by AKelley728

thebigc wrote:JT, you should know better! You can't use a RTX on top of another RTX!! Only one discount fare per ride.
I understand if there's a 'policy' behind this statement, but it doesn't make much sense. If I buy a HAM-MET RTX ticket to piggyback on the MET-NYP RTX ticket I already have, what's to stop me from getting off the train at MET and then immediately getting back on. Does me physically getting off the train 'terminate' my ride? Of course, I could probably just get up at MET and move to another part of the train, giving the conductor in that part of the train the MET-NYP ticket.

I just want to say I don't advocate breaking the rules that NJT has set down, I'm just trying to understand. To me, having those separate tickets is simply covering different legs of my journey.

(BTW I didn't go up to the city this past weekend with my wife, so I still have the MET-NYP ticket. It doesn't expire until October.)

#24891  by Jtgshu

thebigc wrote:JT, you should know better! You can't use a RTX on top of another RTX!! Only one discount fare per ride.
Yea, I know that, and I had a brainfart when I said that in my original post, however, like the 62 to 64 senior fares, (oh im sorry, your not quite old enough yet, and you should have gotten on at the next stop, because thats after 7pm, so Im gonna have to charge you $X.XX - RIIIIIIIIIGHT) CLICK CLICK CLICK CLICK....... "thank you very much have a great day"

:wink:

If your riding on the train coming up from Trenton on the weekends, the trainman will be happy that you have a ticket to begin with!!!

When you board in Hamilton, don't stand where everyone else is, on the east end of hte station building, near the TVM's, spread out a smidge, you will have better luck finding a seat (although the train isn't too crowded at that point anyway), but don't go too far back, because thats wehre everyone loaded up from Septa, if there was a connection. Must crews pull a little short there in Hamilton and PJ, to load up the front of the train to leave teh belly of it relatively empty for the middle stops (NB to Metro), so there are usually plenty of seats in there, but it will get packed later on...

#29169  by F40

So if the terminal is not taken into account, does that mean I can't go from Metropark to Metuchen on my MET-NY monthly? Hm. I guess in terms of common sense, I am paying for the fare from MET to NY so if I board at MET I should be able to get to Trenton, but according to the rules, that doesn't seem to be the case.

#29258  by nick11a

F40 wrote:So if the terminal is not taken into account, does that mean I can't go from Metropark to Metuchen on my MET-NY monthly? Hm. I guess in terms of common sense, I am paying for the fare from MET to NY so if I board at MET I should be able to get to Trenton, but according to the rules, that doesn't seem to be the case.
No, you can't go from Metropark to Metuchen with your Metropark-NY monthly ticket. Think of it this way- you buy your monthly ticket between Metropark and NY. You can use this ticket anywhere in between this but if you go out of that area in which you paid for, you must pay extra. You can also use that monthly ticket for its equivalent price on another line.