Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

by northjerseybuff

I was curious to know how many drawbridges are active on NJT. I know Dispatchers control HX for example, but the ones on the NJCL have individual operators? Is that year round? Also do boats have a direct line to the NJT dispatcher?
  by Jtgshu

There is a telephone number on all the bridges that I believe leads to the dispatcher, or at least someone up there.

As for the Coast Line, River, Morgan and Brielle (Brielle is still an actual interlocking tower) are manned at all times. I think Shark might have some times in the winter when its not manned, but there is often a person there as well.

Oceanport im not sure about. I THINK its manned during the day in the summer, but im not certain.

Beach Draw on the AC Line is remote controlled, and Jersey is manned (the Jeep in the cage!)
  by OportRailfan

Jtgshu wrote:There is a telephone number on all the bridges that I believe leads to the dispatcher, or at least someone up there.

As for the Coast Line, River, Morgan and Brielle (Brielle is still an actual interlocking tower) are manned at all times. I think Shark might have some times in the winter when its not manned, but there is often a person there as well.

Oceanport im not sure about. I THINK its manned during the day in the summer, but im not certain.

Beach Draw on the AC Line is remote controlled, and Jersey is manned (the Jeep in the cage!)
I've also heard that OD (Oceanport Draw) is manned in the summer only. You can typically tell if someone's parked down by the Operator's tower.
  by sixty-six

northjerseybuff wrote:I was curious to know how many drawbridges are active on NJT. I know Dispatchers control HX for example, but the ones on the NJCL have individual operators? Is that year round? Also do boats have a direct line to the NJT dispatcher?
HX has an operator.
  by northjerseybuff

HX really? not in the tower? on the bridge itself? what about the main line bridge?
  by R36 Combine Coach

Upper Hack tender also controls HX and Lower Hack. The bridge tender's car can be seen parked at the Secaucus side of Upper Hack.
  by northjerseybuff

Upper Hack being on the mainline?
  by sixty-six

northjerseybuff wrote:HX really? not in the tower? on the bridge itself? what about the main line bridge?
I think it's on the bridge itself. I've seen the operator walking across the bridge, and his car is always parked on the east end of it.
  by Jtgshu

Just a side note, these people are bridge tenders, NOT operators.

Brielle has an operator, Brielle is still a tower and controls the interlocking and bridge and signals surrounding it. There are no other manned towers remaining on NJT property. The bridge tenders control the operation of the bridge, and the dispatcher locks and unlocks the bridge after the signals are dropped, etc. The bridge tender actually operates the bridge, but NOT the signals, or any other kind of track control.
  by sixty-six

Jtgshu wrote:Just a side note, these people are bridge tenders, NOT operators.

Brielle has an operator, Brielle is still a tower and controls the interlocking and bridge and signals surrounding it. There are no other manned towers remaining on NJT property. The bridge tenders control the operation of the bridge, and the dispatcher locks and unlocks the bridge after the signals are dropped, etc. The bridge tender actually operates the bridge, but NOT the signals, or any other kind of track control.
Oh good, the definition police showed up. :-D

You know what i meant. :wink:
  by Jtgshu

jimzim66 wrote:
Jtgshu wrote:Just a side note, these people are bridge tenders, NOT operators.

Oh good, the definition police showed up. :-D

You know what i meant. :wink:
What, you can dish it but can't take it? :P
  by sixty-six

Jtgshu wrote: What, you can dish it but can't take it? :P
I can take your comments just fine, its all white noise to me :-)
  by Patrick Boylan

Does Delair bridge on the Atlantic City line count? I thought our friendly neighborhood freight railroad owns it, although the Riverline-Atlantic City thread in the Light Rail forum has a post that says NJT owns 1 track.

Anyway I have had the pleasure of sailing my boat under the bridge 3 times this summer. The first time was the ferrying move to our new mooring, and I trusted my other 3 sailboat partners that they knew we would clear the bridge. To my eyes it's the lowest of all the bridges south of Trenton. I'm pretty sure my sailboat's mast won't get any taller, but I'm still kind of worried that the bridge might sag lower sometime :)
  by Roadgeek Adam

R36 Combine Coach wrote:Upper Hack tender also controls HX and Lower Hack. The bridge tender's car can be seen parked at the Secaucus side of Upper Hack.
Isn't the only thing living in HX Tower besides bugs a bunch of owls?
  by snavely

There is also the Passaic River draw on the M&E. Lyndhurst on the Main Line is technically active but requires something like 48 hours notice to open. Dock and Portal on the NEC are Amtrak....vessels generally do not contact the bridges by phone, all bridges monitor VHF channel 13 and communications are usually by radio. Phone contact is normally only for when advance notice is required, like Lyndhurst or the M&E.