• NJT Changes for the RNC

• Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.
Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

by chuchubob

jspsh wrote:Any news on the security measures?

I heard from chuchubob that last Sunday they stopped a NJT A3 at Newark for searching.
Correctamundo!

I put it on a board that many people here may not see:

http://www.railroad.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=4971

Posted: Mon Aug 23, 2004 12:42

On Tuesday afternoon, WRTI, Temple University Public Radio (Philly) had a news item that described how police would do exactly what they did on my train on Sunday: enter and search every car simultaneously at the last station before NYP, whether Noork or Secaucus Junction.

by jspsh

TAMR213 wrote:Today on ABC-7, they announced some more details about NJT's security plans. I'm currently unable to find an article on thier website, but I remember them mentioning that all trains going into NYC will be inspected before entering Penn Station (I would assume they will be inspected at ST or NwkPenn?). How do they expect to do this? NJT really seems to be going completly gung-ho on security for this. I really have no idea how this will work well.
yea, true

i must travel during two days that week because thats what i get for not having a license. hope all goes well with the delays caused by security

by Jtgshu

Yes, they are going to be checking EACH train heading into NYP either at SEC or NWK. This was also one of the reasons why M and E trains where diverted to Hoboken, to free up NJTPD manpower in searching the trains, and hopefully minimize the delays......

I am NOT looking forward to working next week, not at all..........

by thebigc

Jtgshu wrote:Yes, they are going to be checking EACH train heading into NYP either at SEC or NWK. This was also one of the reasons why M and E trains where diverted to Hoboken, to free up NJTPD manpower in searching the trains, and hopefully minimize the delays......

Ah yes, MidTown Direct...always the first to be diverted. All those people who paid for NYP and get HOB and wind up SOL. You leave Newarks, don't make the left, take the walk of shame through your train to pop the traps you just lowered, all the people whom you just charged terminal fees giving you the evil eye. I remember it well :(

You know, being as the changeover works the other way now at Meadows, maybe NJT can divert some NJCL and Trenton trains to HOB instead :-D

Spread the wealth, a little.

by nick11a

thebigc wrote:
Jtgshu wrote:Yes, they are going to be checking EACH train heading into NYP either at SEC or NWK. This was also one of the reasons why M and E trains where diverted to Hoboken, to free up NJTPD manpower in searching the trains, and hopefully minimize the delays......

Ah yes, MidTown Direct...always the first to be diverted. All those people who paid for NYP and get HOB and wind up SOL. You leave Newarks, don't make the left, take the walk of shame through your train to pop the traps you just lowered, all the people whom you just charged terminal fees giving you the evil eye. I remember it well :(

You know, being as the changeover works the other way now at Meadows, maybe NJT can divert some NJCL and Trenton trains to HOB instead :-D

Spread the wealth, a little.
Haha. Yeah, I've had the experience when travelling between Berkeley Heights and New Brunswick where I chose to change at NYP (for a few dollars more) and my train was diverted to Hoboken anyway.

by JLo

Same story at NewsRadio 88. Beginning Sunday and ending Friday, all NJT trains will stop at the last station on their schedule (either Secaucus or Newark Penn) and be searched.

by rcbsd45

More details can be found in an article in today's Newrk Star Ledger, or at the following Link:

http://nj.com/news/ledger/index.ssf?/ba ... 121760.xml

by TAMR213

How do they phesably expect to do this? I'll bet next that week will have some sort of spike in complaints to NJT. This seems pretty insane to me.

by nick11a

They had a nice shot of a cop next to an Arrow III train in Newark Penn Station on the cover of the Union County Edition of the Star Ledger.

by jspsh

Nick:

Was this the image with the tops you were talking about?

by TAMR213

Wow! It looks like Cops have replaced Conductors.

by Jtgshu

There are certain spots where the train must stop, depending on the number of cars. There will be a cop for each car. Once the doors open up, and the people unload and load up, the police will enter the train, and each one will search their car. Then they will stand back out on the platform when they are done.

Hopefully this wont take more than a minute or two, but we will see..........

I don't wanna work next week

by mcmannors

I'll bet next that week will have some sort of spike in complaints to NJT.
Tell the idiots to direct their complaints to the cause of all of this stupidity:
The City Of New York, for allowing a political convention to be held just upstairs from a major train station during chaotic times like this!

by mcmannors

There are certain spots where the train must stop, depending on the number of cars. There will be a cop for each car. Once the doors open up, and the people unload and load up, the police will enter the train, and each one will search their car. Then they will stand back out on the platform when they are done.
I also saw the supplemental division notice that says that the deadhead cars should be open for the cops as well. Ha! I can't wait to hear about the sleeping employees being awakened by the police officers, the barking German Shepards, and the Newark passengers rushing on since the doors had to open!

by nick11a

jspsh wrote:Nick:

Was this the image with the tops you were talking about?

Yeah, that's the pic. And yes, it does look like the cops have replaced the crew. You can see the rear brarke all the way in back of the shot there.