• Nick Wilson Photo in TRAINS Mag

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

by bwparker1

I am surprised that no one here mentioned that in the most recent issue of TRAINS, the board's own Nick Wilson had a full page shot of a CSX Train Crossing the High Falls trestle, with High Falls underneath. A great shot Nick!

Brooks
  by Lehighton_Man

And that he caught a great image of CSX'es infamous 4617, the last SD40 still wearing C&O on the side. Very nice Shot Nick!
Sean
  by StLouSteve

I've been meaning to dig out my copy of Trains from the 40/50s when they did an article on Rochester to see if I could do a then and now comparison (assuming there must be a river shot) to see what has changed/what has stayed the same.

But that is a great shot.
  by judgesmails

Otto Vondrak wrote:Do you know what issue it was?

-otto-

It was definitely 1940s - somewhere between 1946 and 1948, I think. I don't have any Trains magazines beyond 1949, and I know that I have the Rochester article. If I remember right, there aren't any great river shots. Maybe one of an Erie or LV train running alongside the river, but I don't think there's anything above the falls.
  by StLouSteve

Page 41 of June 47 has the comparison photo. Says at one time, all NYC thru trains stopped so passengers could admire the view and there was a park on the lower bank but it is now (1940s) a scrap yard.
  by Conrail4evr

Thank you all for the kind compliments! Getting into Trains has been a goal of mine for the past few years, though I never expected to achieve it quite this quick!

Which reminds me of a conversation Otto and I had the other day, about being younger and wondering who these people were writing these articles and shooting these photos for these big name magazines. Later on in life, we figured out that that person is us - not some divine, distant individuals, but rather you and the guy sitting next to you at the tracks. Start small with a publication such as Railpace and work your way up the ladder - who knows where you'll end up!

- - Nick Wilson
  by roadster

Nice work Nick, Congrads, keep it up.