• Next Big Fleet Purchase

• Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.
Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

by Thomas

What will be the next major fleet purchase from NJ Transit, and when will it occur?
  by Matt Johnson

I have to think the remaining Arrow III's will have to be replaced before too long.
  by morris&essex4ever

I agree the Arrows need to be retired, but I wonder what will replace them. Multilevel EMUs?
  by nick11a

Thomas wrote:What will be the next major fleet purchase from NJ Transit, and when will it occur?
Probably has to be the Arrow III replacement. They've been putting that decision all for a very long time. Many years. The time is nigh for that.
  by Fan Railer

This is a question better posed to the NJT gods...
  by CNJGeep

Thomas wrote:What will be the next major fleet purchase from NJ Transit, and when will it occur?
Saturn VII rockets, and next Friday respectively.
  by nick11a

Fan Railer wrote:This is a question better posed to the NJT gods...
I don't think they would answer it publicly.
  by R36 Combine Coach

morris&essex4ever wrote:I agree the Arrows need to be retired, but I wonder what will replace them. Multilevel EMUs?
This concept had been floated around.
  by 25Hz

I just hope whatever they get is NOTHING like the silverliner 5.

Lets just hope GE is able to turn out another batch of modernized arrows and that be the end of it.
  by ThirdRail7

1) when you pay for it

2) after you ask 1800 more questions that you won't answer yourself because they are basically unanswerable.
  by Fan Railer

ThirdRail7 wrote:
2) after you ask 1800 more questions that you won't answer yourself because they are basically unanswerable.
^This... How many more times will this need to be repeated before we get you to UNDERSTAND...?
  by djmarco121

The Replacement for the Arrow IIIs are the Arrow IVs which are slated to be multilevel
  by Fan Railer

djmarco121 wrote:The Replacement for the Arrow IIIs are the Arrow IVs which are slated to be multilevel
Which is all air, and no substance until some wild money appears, which NJT will have to try and capture with pokeballs.
  by nick11a

Fan Railer wrote:
djmarco121 wrote:The Replacement for the Arrow IIIs are the Arrow IVs which are slated to be multilevel
Which is all air, and no substance until some wild money appears, which NJT will have to try and capture with pokeballs.
Absolutely. I've been told that this was "definitely" going to happen.... until things changed (Sandy, reduction in management forces, political and funding priority shifts, the economy, etc.)

Basically, the Arrow IIIs are very important to NJT even still. NJT needs them, but they also need to replace them. For the time being, they are hanging on tight hoping that the Arrow IIIs hang on.
  by Fan Railer

nick11a wrote:
Fan Railer wrote:
Absolutely. I've been told that this was "definitely" going to happen.... until things changed (Sandy, reduction in management forces, political and funding priority shifts, the economy, etc.)

Basically, the Arrow IIIs are very important to NJT even still. NJT needs them, but they also need to replace them. For the time being, they are hanging on tight hoping that the Arrow IIIs hang on.
Spot on. Beside, if the remaining Arrows were on the chopping block, do you think NJT would have invested in refurbishing the entire revenue fleet with new pantographs?