• Newburyport Train Wreck - 1908

• Discussion relating to the pre-1983 B&M and MEC railroads. For current operations, please see the Pan Am Railways Forum.
Discussion relating to the pre-1983 B&M and MEC railroads. For current operations, please see the Pan Am Railways Forum.

Moderator: MEC407

by b&m 1566

I came across this website and figured I would share it. I knew of a train wreck on the Merricmack River but never new they actually removed the engine, I alway thought it was still at the bottom of the river, unless of course there was another train wreck years later.
  by jbvb

The channel at the draw isn't so deep they could just leave it. Two other differences between this and the Piscataqua bridge wreck of 1939 were 1) accounting rules of 1908 favored repair over scrapping, and 2) the 4-4-0 was in the channel, where the bridge collapesed under 3666 away from the drawspan.
  by Tracer

b&m 1566 wrote:I came across this website and figured I would share it. I knew of a train wreck on the Merricmack River but never new they actually removed the engine, I alway thought it was still at the bottom of the river, unless of course there was another train wreck years later.
Amazingly enough, according to the article the engine was used again and renumbered 1110.