• New York to DC without Amtrak

• Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.
Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.

Moderator: AlexC

by CarterB

If one wanted to travel down to DC from NYC on a Friday afternoon and back on a Sunday afternoon, is there any at all convenient way to 'span the gap' between Newark, DE and Perryville MD (between MARC and SEPTA)?

Are there any plans at all between SEPTA and MARC to close the gap?

by greg19051

Hi:
You may want to check the R2 Sunday schedule, but it looks like trains only go as far as Marcus Hook on Sundays. If that is true, you will probably have to take Amtrak to Philly because I think that Amtrak only stops in Wilmington before it arrives here. Other people in the form might know if that info is correct.
Greg 19051

by Launcher

yes that's right there is no SEPTA service to the state of delaware on sundays. you can't get to Newark with Septa on Saturdays or offpeak weekdays either. They only run a handful of R2 Newark trips all the way during the weekday morning and evening hours.

there is no way to get to Perryville MD yet though I think it's been proposed but there is currently no funding or start date in place if I recall correctly.

by 7 Train

SEPTA has no Sunday Delaware service because the Delaware section of the R2 is operated under contract with the Delaware Transit Corporation, which allows only Monday-Saturday service.

by SilentCal

I looked into the idea when I was in school in DC. It can't be done, sadly. Would've saved me a bundle on train fares, too.

by Sean@Temple

Well if all else fails, one of the china bus companies makes a run from DC to Philly for $15. Its not ideal but it is cheap.

Sean@Temple

by drewh

MARC service doesn't operate on the weekends either.