• New York to Atlantic City Service (ACES)

• Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.
Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

by Frogger

Inquirer
NJ Transit chief George Warrington is pitching a new rail service between Philadelphia and Newark, with the goal of giving central New Jerseyans a quick, cheap ride into Center City. But the trains, which could be running within a couple of years, also would give another travel option to Philadelphians always on the lookout for a good deal into New York.

by fetzdog121

I have always wondered when something like this would happen. Especially with NJT taking over Amtraks clocker service which ran from philly to manhattan, it seems like a logical thing to do. I know that most peopel feel that njt just bought the clocker slots into penn station to have more trains in and out, but to continue the service evan as an express to philadelphia as i assume amtrak operated it would be helpful

by umtrr-author

"Joe Blow off the street"?!?

Yeah, let's put that on the next general ad campaign for A.C.

"Atlantic City: Just right for you, Joe Blow off the street."

My home state, what can I say...

Anyway, it does seem like a refreshing bit of looking forward. There would probably be any number of obstacles but there appears to be a real attempt to get something going.

by uzplayer

Considering New Jersey Transit's fantastic track record, i'll take a "believe it when I see it" stance to this.

by NJT4207

That's not fair. It only took 110 years to connect the Boonton & Montclair Line together.

by PRSL

This service should have been in place when the AC Line was created almost 20 years ago. I do not agree with the path they want to go through. If NJT is already talking about the MOM line, then Red Bank to Lakehurst is the perfect route. From Lakehurst, proceed south to Winslow Junction, put the wye back in, then go to AC.

Why go to Philadelphia then double back through NJ to get to NY? That route might be faster, but by the time all the political dicussion is done, the link from Winslow to Red Bank could be completed. The DOT still owns the ROW north of Winslow. Once Winslow is re-established, Cape May service can come on-line.

by TAMR213

I wouldn't get my hopes up, but I like the idea. Also provides extra service for people between Trenton and Newark.

Also, IMO the Monmouth Junction route is clearly the best route for MOM.

by uzplayer

NJT4207 wrote:
uzplayer wrote:Considering New Jersey Transit's fantastic track record, i'll take a "believe it when I see it" stance to this.
That's not fair. It only took 110 years to connect the Boonton & Montclair Line together.
I stand by my original quote.

by CJPat

PRSL wrote:The DOT still owns the ROW north of Winslow.
I thought I read in another thread (quite a while ago) that the ROW between Pasadena & Lakehurst was sold off to one of the Sand Companies during the last several years of operation (late '70's, maybe?).

by Butlershops

PRSL wrote:... I do not agree with the path they want to go through. If NJT is already talking about the MOM line, then Red Bank to Lakehurst is the perfect route. From Lakehurst, proceed south to Winslow Junction, put the wye back in, then go to AC.
The Southern Seconday does not run to Philadelphia, which is the underserved major metropolitan area in discussion here.

Either way, I'll believe it when I see it.
  by henry6

I posted on anothe forum that this is the type of services I have preached about for a long time. That inter- and intra- uses of the various metropolitan rail systems have to be utilized: first, by the agencies, second by the public. So first is the agencies have to realize what can be done with what they have, then market, then advertise, and finally and definitely, deliver.

by thebigc

NJT4207 wrote:That's not fair. It only took 110 years to connect the Boonton & Montclair Line together.
And in the final analysis, all we did was extend the Montclair branch to Montclair Heights.

BOT, so are we gonna create a connection at "Shore" for a straight shot or pick up where Amtrak left off with the run-around / engine swap time killer??

by JLo

BigC, TR-00 was on here talking about it. IIRC, no new tracks or switches are included in the proposal.

by thebigc

JLo wrote:BigC, TR-00 was on here talking about it. IIRC, no new tracks or switches are included in the proposal.
But TR-00 is only a LOCOMOTIVE engineer, not an actual "engineer". We'll see what happens...

by jfrey40535

If they're going to bother to run AC trains to NY, why not just change engines at 30th and run direct to NYP? Why run diesels under the wires?

If this is to serve the NJ market, why run to 30th? why not just head north at Frankford Junction? Its an extra 10-15 minutes to 30th, then 10-15 back to FJ, is that really feasible?