Discussion of Canadian Passenger Rail Services such as AMT (Montreal), Go Transit (Toronto), VIA Rail, and other Canadian Railways and Transit

Moderator: Ken V

by NS VIA FAN

Ken V wrote:...........and I have to agree that VIA's web site isn't the easiest thing to navigate. Sometimes finding certain information on there can take quite a lot of effort.
Check back next month.......A new VIA Web Site is launching around June 17.
  by Ken V

The new format for VIA's website is now online at http://www.viarail.ca

I haven't had a chance to check it out yet but you may want to take a look and give us your thoughts.
  by ejones

Well, permit me to get this party started.

I think the new route descriptions, complete with maps and highlights, are a big plus. (I do not recall them on the old site .. correct me if I am wrong.) They're a bit ungainly as they appear on a computer screen, even my wide-screen monitor, but perhaps they show up better when printed. Still, they offer what appears to be good info on what to see along the way for many routes.

That said, I noticed they did not provide such highlights on the route to Churchill which I presume is a pretty big tourist draw, especially in October. As I understand, the line is relatively flat and featureless for many stretches ... is that why no highlights? Still, the ON line to Moosonee is flat and, at times, relatively featureless, but having taken that line, I would have no problem coming up with route highlights to encourage and and enhance the travel experience. No such opportunity to Churchill?
  by timberley

Looking at this new website, and checking out a few different areas, it appears VIA has changed their classes.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it appears VIA 1 class has been changed to "Business" class, and the Ocean's "Easterly" class appears now to be "Sleeper Touring" class, the name also being applied to what I believe was Silver and Blue class on the Canadian.

Any reason for these changes?

I suppose the only visible change, if VIA 1 is gone, is that the LRC and Ren coaches will lose their VIA 1 herald....but since the LRC's are soon to be rebuilt and presumably repainted anyway, I doubt that would be an issue. I'll be interested to see what the logo for said new class will look.
  by Montrealrail

Mr Levesque have almost finish the biggest part of the web site,I just made a large view on it and it's very easy to find all the information..

I know the guy who work on the web site and he's about to put 360 degres picture,on that way,that will be possible to see inside the train on the same way,than if your'e inside the train..

He made a lot of work on the site and it's more better,even you can see first class menu more than 3 month before the train travel,also the price list for beverage and alcool,and for light meal in econo class..

everything is claerly explain for peopples who need to get the more info as possible..
and it' easyer to reserve ticket,tonight,I just made a reservation for Quebec city in july,a little railfanning week-end..
  by chriskay

timberley wrote:...it appears VIA 1 class has been changed to "Business" class, and the Ocean's "Easterly" class appears now to be "Sleeper Touring" class, the name also being applied to what I believe was Silver and Blue class on the Canadian.

You're right about the Business Class name change from VIA 1. I was wondering the same thing, and my SO said it's possibly because a lot of companies have tightened the purse strings, and "VIA 1" sounds too luxurious for business spending, whereas "Business Class" sounds more utilitarian and may be easier to justify in corporate budgets.
  by jp1822

chriskay wrote:
timberley wrote:...it appears VIA 1 class has been changed to "Business" class, and the Ocean's "Easterly" class appears now to be "Sleeper Touring" class, the name also being applied to what I believe was Silver and Blue class on the Canadian.

You're right about the Business Class name change from VIA 1. I was wondering the same thing, and my SO said it's possibly because a lot of companies have tightened the purse strings, and "VIA 1" sounds too luxurious for business spending, whereas "Business Class" sounds more utilitarian and may be easier to justify in corporate budgets.
We don't allow business class travel on Amtrak trains in the US, and if we operated in Canada, we wouldn't allow it there either. They have to take coach class - in VIA's case economy? So the name change is a little meaningless in this area. We are definitely not the only company that has recently adopted this rule - or have had it in place for years! If anything VIA 1 would be more of a disguise when put on a "Travel and Expense Report" for an employee. And this is coming from my role as the Controller of a company that has had this policy at the past two companies I've been at, not just as a result of current economic times!

I just think Business Class - for Amtrak or VIA - sends out the wrong message to people. It's like this car is for business people and nobody else, even though the regular traveller on vacation could certainly book in this class. So could a regular traveller looking to get from point A to B in Canada and just happened to upgrade to "Touring Class" even though they are not necessarily "touring" from another country or on vacation "touring."

So I think both Touring Class and Business Class are wrong terms for VIA to be using.
  by ramonesfan

what do you mean we don't allow business class on amtrak. amtrak has and does use business class. or are you saying that if i have a business class through seat on the maple leaf your making go sit in coach. if i paid for the upgrade all the way i expect to sit in that seat all the way to toronto.
  by NS VIA FAN

jp1822 wrote:
chriskay wrote:

..............So I think both Touring Class and Business Class are wrong terms for VIA to be using.
Smart move by VIA!

There are many more people out there who would associate Business Class as an upgrade of basic transportation than would have a clue what VIA1 is unless they did some research.

Same goes for Silver & Blue and Easterly Class. As railfans we know what they are but does the general public?

Check out the web sites of railways in Europe, Australia, Asia etc and you will find Cabin commonly used for sleeper accommodation.

Using terms like Cabin, Touring and Business Class just brings VIA in line with the rest of the world.
  by NS VIA FAN

ramonesfan wrote:what do you mean we don't allow business class on amtrak. amtrak has and does use business class. or are you saying that if i have a business class through seat on the maple leaf your making go sit in coach. if i paid for the upgrade all the way i expect to sit in that seat all the way to toronto.
I believe jp1822 was saying his company doesn’t allow employees to travel in Business Class.

VIA doesn’t offer Business Class on the Maple Leaf but I believe if you are in Amtrak Business Class beyond the border you are allowed to remain in your seat. VIA’s Business Class (former VIA1) on other corridor trains is closer to what would be offered in Acela First Class.
  by buddah

the new website is fresh and nice love how you can bypass he language selection page now and directs you straight to English, I would have gone with a light blue instead of the brown on the home page and a link directly to the express deals from the home page would be nice.
  by jp1822

NS VIA FAN wrote:
ramonesfan wrote:what do you mean we don't allow business class on amtrak. amtrak has and does use business class. or are you saying that if i have a business class through seat on the maple leaf your making go sit in coach. if i paid for the upgrade all the way i expect to sit in that seat all the way to toronto.
I believe jp1822 was saying his company doesn’t allow employees to travel in Business Class.

VIA doesn’t offer Business Class on the Maple Leaf but I believe if you are in Amtrak Business Class beyond the border you are allowed to remain in your seat. VIA’s Business Class (former VIA1) on other corridor trains is closer to what would be offered in Acela First Class.
Correct - our company does not allow employees to travel in business class on Amtrak.
  by gaspeamtrak

i HAVE JUST CHECKED OUT THE NEW WEBSITE AND I'M NOT IMPRESSED AT ALL!!! i WANT TO FIND TRAIN SCHEDULES AND ALL I'M GETTING IS CUSTOMIZE YOUR OWN SCHEDULE
WHERE IS THE SITE MAP???
I'M NOT IMPRESSED AT ALL!
AMTRAKS WEBSITE IS SO MUCH BETTER AND EASIER TO NAVIGATE...PLEASE GIVE ME BACK THE OLD VIA WEBSITE TILL YOU GET THAT NEW SITE MORE USER FRIENDLY...
  by timberley

gaspeamtrak wrote:i HAVE JUST CHECKED OUT THE NEW WEBSITE AND I'M NOT IMPRESSED AT ALL!!! i WANT TO FIND TRAIN SCHEDULES AND ALL I'M GETTING IS CUSTOMIZE YOUR OWN SCHEDULE
WHERE IS THE SITE MAP???
It's quite simple actually. Click om "Trains", then select whatever route you want. Then click on "Schedules". It will give you the entire schedule for that route, with the option to view it as a PDF. You can customize your timetable, but you don't have to.

It's not any more difficult, and I find it's generally easier to use than the old VIA site. My opinion anyways.
  by NS VIA FAN

gaspeamtrak wrote: .......AMTRAKS WEBSITE IS SO MUCH BETTER AND EASIER TO NAVIGATE...PLEASE GIVE ME BACK THE OLD VIA WEBSITE TILL YOU GET THAT NEW SITE MORE USER FRIENDLY...
I had no problem at all finding the schedules plus there's at lot more info on the trains and services than what Amtrak provides on their web site