• New train smell

• Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.
Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.

Moderator: AlexC

by Choo Choo

I had the pleasure of riding a SLV this week. The best part was that it had that new train smell. I thought it would be hard to top the smell of the SLIV, which was previously my favorite smelling SEPTA mode of transport.

What's your favorite SEPTA smell?
  by SubwayTim

I vaguely remember the Silverliner II's and III's had a "unique" smell to them when my mom took me on my first few train rides in the late 1960's/early 1970's. I'm not sure if they've pretty much maintained the same smell over the years. From the mid 1980's through the 1990's, which was my "peak" railfanning period, the Silverliner II's, III's and IV's (with the old interiors) smelled almost the same...at least not much noticeably different from each other. Of coarse, when the IV's had their interiors redone they had the "new car smell" for a while and I'm sure the airport III's had somewhat of a "new" smell to them when they were overhauled with the new seats. I've been on the airport III's only a couple of times and never really took notice of what they smelled like.
  by limejuice

Choo Choo wrote:What's your favorite SEPTA smell?
Switch plate grease. Creosote in lighter doses. Also, burnt electronics because it usually translates to overtime.
  by askclifford

Defiantly the section of concourse under 1234.
  by jfrey40535

I don't have a favorite SEPTA smell, but it would be nice if something could be done about the Frankford smEl.
  by BuddSilverliner269

jfrey40535 wrote:I don't have a favorite SEPTA smell, but it would be nice if something could be done about the Frankford smEl.
Hehe, I always remembered growing up and the Almond Joys roamed the rails, the cars ALWAYS smelled like the Market Street Tunnel. I remember the train would pull into Margaret-Orthodox station and before the doors opened, you would smell that smell. I havent been on the EL lately so I cant really tell you if the smell invaded the M4's but its a smell I kinda miss.
  by jfrey40535

Sorry Budd, the days of the El cars smelling like the tunnel have given way to chicken wings, diapers and the most offensive BO. But you can sometimes forget the smEL when distracted by the cutomer immediately in front of or behind you who's listening to the latest top 10 rap tune on their cell phone's speakerphone. Its great that SEPTA made cell-phone service continuous through the tunnel so the music plays from 2nd to 40th Street.

Sometimes, if you're lucky, you'll wind up on a car where a customer's favorite beverage or smoking material fell to the floor, which fills the car with a unique aroma after the train has done 5 laps without being cleaned. If SEPTA could somehow harness those smells, they could make their own popery and sell it at the SEPTA store at 13th & Market. It would be an instant hit!
  by Launcher

jfrey40535 wrote:Sorry Budd, the days of the El cars smelling like the tunnel have given way to chicken wings, diapers and the most offensive BO. But you can sometimes forget the smEL when distracted by the cutomer immediately in front of or behind you who's listening to the latest top 10 rap tune on their cell phone's speakerphone. Its great that SEPTA made cell-phone service continuous through the tunnel so the music plays from 2nd to 40th Street.

It's great that AT&T made cell-phone service continuous for safety purposes. Ten times out of 11, I believe this is downloaded music anyway. It would have to be an iphone to use AT&T, and iphones have half decent speakers. Ever so gently, remind that person that a phone is not a radio! The audio quality on those speakerphones is HORRIBLE! There should be a QUIET RIDE CAR on the subway and el, wouldn't that be worthwhile?
  by ChrisinAbington

I'd say no smell would be my favorite SEPTA smell. Most everything else I've encountered in the system wouldn't be something I'd pay for..
  by jfrey40535

It's great that AT&T made cell-phone service continuous for safety purposes. Ten times out of 11, I believe this is downloaded music anyway. It would have to be an iphone to use AT&T, and iphones have half decent speakers. Ever so gently, remind that person that a phone is not a radio! The audio quality on those speakerphones is HORRIBLE! There should be a QUIET RIDE CAR on the subway and el, wouldn't that be worthwhile?
I have no complaint about cell service in the tunnels, though it used to be a refuge from listening to phone conversations, but whatever. Telling another passenger to turn their phone down? Last time a passenger complained to another passenger about their behavior on a SEPTA vehicle, the windows of the bus got blown out with shotguns. No thanks, I'll put up with the noise.
  by Clearfield

It has to be City Hall Station.....

Very memorable,