• New seats

• Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.
Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.

Moderator: AlexC

by greg19051

What's going on with the gray naugahyde seats?

by PARailWiz

They're finally replacing the worst of the cloth seats, I hope. I rode in a car this morning (#169, i think, not sure) that could have given the El's notorious seats a run for their money.

It was sort of amusing the first time I saw them, we all walked into the car and everyone commented on the "new car smell."

by jfrey40535

At least they're not putting those awful bus seats in the Silverliners. I wouldn't have put that past SEPTA. The El isn't the same since they put them in. They should have a sign BYOC, bring your own cushion.

by reldnahkram

jfrey40535 wrote:At least they're not putting those awful bus seats in the Silverliners. I wouldn't have put that past SEPTA. The El isn't the same since they put them in. They should have a sign BYOC, bring your own cushion.
I like the new seats on the El. They certainly look nicer than the old M-4 seating or the BSL seating, although we'll see how well they hold up. What I think really makes them look better is replacing the plastic backs with metal.

by jfrey40535

Well maybe you like sitting on metal coated with fuzz. Its a shame the old seats took so much abuse, or that seats similar to the Rt 100 cars couldn't have been put in. The bus seats are very uncomfortable, and even worse when you're sitting next to someone who doesen't fit in one. They don't look nice either. The color of blue they used doesn't match the old ones, they almost clash with the floor and everything else in there of original design. But this is Philly, the city where you shouldn't expect much.

In defense of the BSL seats, they're almost 25 years old now, and look like they haven't aged a day, and are much more egronomical than these bus seats. Ride the El from end to end and you'll see what I mean.

by SEPTALRV9072

i've literally have gotta a pain in the ass from sitting in those seats. The BSL seats would have been perfect for the el cars, plastic is always more comfortable than metal.

by PARailWiz

i've literally have gotta a pain in the ass from sitting in those seats. The BSL seats would have been perfect for the el cars, plastic is always more comfortable than metal.
That's the truth - I used to stand the whole way on the El because the seats were disgusting, now I do it because it's more comfortable.

by JeffK

Be glad no one adopted "Chairman Pat" Deon's sneer that passengers deserved nothing more than "stainless steel benches that could be hosed off at the end of the day".

It should never be said that El Lider Maximo doesn't think about his customers!

by pennengineer

Mark me down as a HUGE fan of the new El seats. Finally, I can sit without fear of coming into contact with a feculent sponge.

I think you guys might be exaggerating your anathema of the new seats. They are the same as bus seats--do you stand for your entire ride on the bus? As a daily trolley passenger, the plastic seats are no walk in the park either, although they do win for durability. I think what SEPTA went with was a good comprimise.

by SEPTALRV9072

I like what they did for the newer Neoplan transit buses with the plastic seats with cushion inserts. They provided the most comfort.