Railroad Forums 

• New Railroad? Suffolk & Southern

• Discussion related to NYAR operations on Long Island. Official web site can be found here: www.anacostia.com/nyar/nyar.html. Also includes discussion related to NYNJ Rail, the carfloat operation successor to New York Cross Harbor that connects with NYAR.
Discussion related to NYAR operations on Long Island. Official web site can be found here: www.anacostia.com/nyar/nyar.html. Also includes discussion related to NYNJ Rail, the carfloat operation successor to New York Cross Harbor that connects with NYAR.

#405843  by DutchRailnut

wow 1280 feet, hope they don't buy a big engine.

#405887  by Scrap em Again

What the hell?????????? Hmmm.......

#405989  by Nova55

I heard it was a DDA40X....1/8th scale... :-D

#406106  by DogBert

I only skimmed that PDF, but something I don't get is would they be building this trackage new, or does it already exist? It mentions aggregate & intermodal customers...

I got the impression they'd just have NY&A switch the tracks and thsi is just a bunch of paperwork to try to get funding for the trackwork out of the state.

#406193  by tahawus84

The way it is worded it sounds like the track is already in place. I live right down the street from where it is proposed, and there is nothing there but trees still. It says they want to serve other customers also but there are none. I do know there is also a proposed power plant on the adjacent site. Will be interesting to see what happens and if they get an engine or not

#406215  by jayrmli

After reading it, this is what I read it to be...

1) There is no trackage there. The application for the "Suffolk & Southern Railroad" is just a formality in order to obtain Federal funds which are only available to railroads. If you're a private non-railroad entity you can not get the funding they are going for.

2) I've heard rumblings of a potential new customer in the area, but from what I've heard about that customer the lingo in the application stating "other materials" is just a formality. While I don't want to be a rumor monger, from what I've heard the commodity they will be shipping, in one word, stinks. :wink:

Jay

#406248  by RRChef

After reading the document several times to understand the "Legalese", the document states on page 4 that the lot is "currently vacant and has never been developed" and that " installation of mainline switch and 11,000 feet of track" as well as other infrastructure is what they are looking for funds for.What I don't understand is that they are looking for a a railroad rehabilitation loan from the New York State Department of Transportation, see page 5. How can they get a rehab loan if there's nothing there?
It's going to be interesting to see if this really happens. There have been numerous proposals for this parcel over the last 20 years or so. Several developers wanted to build a mall because of the proximity to the LIE exit 66 but they couldn't get the zoning changed. The power plant thing has been around about 10-15 years and again it's never happened.
I don't think you can expect to see engines lettered "Suffolk & Southern" but if I understand the phrase "provision of rolling stock" on page 4 correctly, they will have cars for whatever purpose needed and if you go by what the uses stated were it could be several different types of cars.
Oh and by the way, if the cargo stinks like Jay stated, keep in mind that the Brookhaven landfill is only 3-4 miles south of this location. :wink:
 #406400  by Sir Ray

tahawus84 wrote:Anyone see this?

http://www.stb.dot.gov/decisions/Readin ... enDocument
Why...yes!
http://www.railroad.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=39989
Dude, you were scooped by RailPace, no less! :P (yeah, I freely admit that's were I read it first, as seem in my post - thanks for the link, nessman).
Although when I checked the site on LiveLocal (yes, 1-2 years behind the times, I know), I saw what tahawus84 mentioned, just trees and unused land east of the Yaphank Road.

#407181  by jayrmli

I'm not at all an expert of the legalese of NYS Rehab Loans, but there may not be a provision in it to "rehab" something that's existing. You could also view it to be a loan to rehab the railroad itself, and not the infrastructure. This would entail being designated a railroad first before applying. Thus, they can apply for funding once they are a railroad.

Jay

#407192  by jayrmli

Another possible reason for the creation of this railroad is that railroads don't have to comply with state or local regulations. They are regulated by the federal government as it relates to interstate commerce.

Now, if they are moving a certain stinky commodity that I mentioned earlier, what better way to get around state and local laws than by claiming you're a railroad?

Jay

#407336  by Mr GP10

Um ok now what does this do for the NYAR? What kind of power will they get? I know NO GP10s I kinda figured that out. When will this RR begin operations? :-)

#407472  by RRChef

Another possible reason for the creation of this railroad is that railroads don't have to comply with state or local regulations. They are regulated by the federal government as it relates to interstate commerce.

Now, if they are moving a certain stinky commodity that I mentioned earlier, what better way to get around state and local laws than by claiming you're a railroad?
I agree with you. Unfortunetly, the LIRR set a very bad precedent for the future of trash moves when they gave into local pressure and pulled the plug on the ash trains out of Mitchell Field. Yeah I know it was more complicated then as I stated but it still gives hope to any town that wants to oppose it. Good thing a certain Republican governor is no longer in office, otherwise, this piece of land would have already been paved over as another parking lot for the LIRR.

#408112  by jayrmli

RRChef:

Do you mean the LIRR pulled the plug on those trains before the NYAR, or NYAR agreeing to a moratorium on freight movements on the Garden/Mitchell Secondary, which was subsequently traded away for use of Hicksville Yard?

There is nothing the LIRR can do to prohibit the movement of freight over the railroad. That would be a violation of the lease agreement. There is no way anymore that NYAR would agree to voluntarily not move garbage, particularly since it is being done already.

Jay