• New N-scale F40 Soon To Be Released

• Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.
Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.

Moderators: 3rdrail, stilson4283, Otto Vondrak

by jmp883

Here comes another F40. First it was Life-Like, then Overland Models, now Kato.

I was at www.nscaledivision.com and saw that Kato will be releasing an F40 in several Amtrak paint schemes. Even better, they will be releasing an unpainted version as well. This is great news for those of us who want to model commuters. I've always wanted to do NJT so I went to the Microscale Decals website and found both N-scale NJT engine and coach decal sheets. There are no models that exactly match any of the NJT Comets but take a few Con-Cor smoothside coaches, repaint and decal them, and I think they'd look good enough.

Chalk another one up for Kato......

Joe P :-D

by astrosa

Just keep in mind that the Kato models will represent the 'Phase 3' variant of the F40PHs, which had Q-fans since they were built post-1980. NJT's units may have been this type, I can't remember off the top of my head, but I believe the 'Phase 2' type with low-profile older style radiator fans was more common among the commuter F40s.

Then again, if Con-Cor Pullman coaches are close enough to Comets for you, maybe the radiator fans won't bother you a bit.

But...last I heard we're getting our Kato F40PHs in HO first, before they come out in N. :wink:

by jmp883

Well, isn't it a given that you HO-ers get everything first? :wink:

I'll have to look into the fan issue, but then again that's the nice thing about N. You can stretch things a bit and get away with it more than you might be able to in HO. Of course every scale has those sharp-eyed modelers who can spot a dynamic brake fan housing or a sandbox filler pipe that is a scale 1/8" out of alignment or will tell you that the prototype never ran that type of engine or rolling stock. For the most part I think most of us modelers are of the variety that wants realism and correctness in our models. If a specific model doesn't exist then the next best option we have is to scratchbuild, modify, or in this case use what's available since it is so close to what we need. After all, isn't the overall effect what most of us are looking for?

Joe P :-D

by NellsChoo

Anyone have a clue as to how accurate this one will be to the MBTA engines? Worth picking up an undecorated?

Oh, and how lucky would I be if they release some commuter and cab control cars???

by astrosa

The Phase 3 style of F40PHs includes MBTA #1013-1017, which were delivered with Q-fans. However, the question then becomes whether or not Kato will release a version without dynamic brakes, since the MBTA units do not have them. If the models do come with dynamics, you can either ignore this discrepancy or remove them - shouldn't be too hard to do, just file off the roof fan and fill in the side vents with putty. Otherwise the only work you may have to do would involve adding minor details specific to the MBTA locomotives, if desired.

And you'd have to be pretty damn lucky for them to release commuter cars, considering they haven't made any announcements about that. I don't know why no manufacturer has shown interest in making Comet-style coaches in N, but that's how it goes sometimes.

by NellsChoo

Why release such a "commuter" engine with nothing for it to haul?? I still think the lack of N scale passenger cars for roads OTHER than the biggies is silly. I have read about how there are so many passenger cars out now... but I don't see them.

Well, that is another topic...

by astrosa

NellsChoo wrote:Why release such a "commuter" engine with nothing for it to haul??
HO modelers (and I guess it applies to N as well) have been asking that same question since the day Athearn released their F59PHI. It was great that they subsequently did the Bombardier bi-level cars in both scales, but those who have purchased the various Amtrak F59s have no cars to go with them. That's definitely a head-scratcher, considering that the Surfliner and Capitol cars are nearly identical.

However, 'silly' as it may seem to you, it's a much different story where tens of thousands of dollars in investments may be concerned. Just because there's a need out there doesn't mean a manufacturer will see fit to fill it.

Case in point (and getting back to topic) - although a Kato F40PH model could represent engines from several railroads, they have so far only announced it in Amtrak and RTA for HO scale, and only in Amtrak for N scale. I wonder if that says something about the results of their market considerations, especially considering that they're also producing RTA cars in HO and the Superliner series in N.

by NellsChoo

I guess we should just feel lucky, and wait to see if maybe more roads get offered.