• New MBTA CR layover yard in Pawtucket

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

by paulrail

Does anyone know the current status of the new commuter rail layover yard that is supposed to be built in Pawtucket, RI ?

Has construction started yet? If so, any estimate when it will be completed and trainsets can finally leave Hebronville? :-)

Thanks.....

Paul

by FatNoah

On my last trip to Philadelphia a couple months ago, I noticed that yard construction looked to be fully underway, with rails laid, lighting installed, etc. I don't have more information than that, but I bet someone on this board does.

by CRail

it is not far from completion. the tracks are laid, and the yard is lit every night. I imagine it will be in use by this coming winter :-) (just a guess)

by pdxstreetcar

I believe that the yard is all ready but just needs to be connected into the main line.

by MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

the yard is no where near ready, the yard tracks aren't even completed and someone that works for the RR said that there are no high speed switch's to connect to the mainline, so the yard won't be active until they get the switch's

by CRail

matt, i believe what you just said has already been addressed. The tracks have been completed, except for the connection to the main line as explained by pdxstreetcar, and the yard is electrified and "on". Why do you need high speed switches? they are entering yard territory and you generally dont travel at high speeds into a yard, especially when your stopping in about 300-500 feet.

by MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

i meant high speed switch's to connect to the mainline

by CSX Conductor

As Corey stated, no need for high-speed switches........most likey they will be hand-thrown switches, like the ones at each end of East Jct.

by MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

oh, i was just saying what i heard from people at the T