• New Mansfield MA Station

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

by petercyganjr

When did the new station open? I just noticed it on a recent trip to NYC on Amtrak.

by CSX Conductor

I think in 1997/1998 but not exactly sure.

by Diverging Route

It opened in February, 2004 -- I use it!

by CSX Conductor

Thanks for the correction, I pass it often but have yet to have been inside.

by Nyterider

Excellent! All they need to do now is tear down that abandoned factory and add another 500 parking spaces or so and then Mansfield will be in good shape.

by CSX Conductor

The abandoned factory?!? Across the street has been cleared out already, is that where you mean?

by Diverging Route

Nyterider wrote:Excellent! All they need to do now is tear down that abandoned factory and add another 500 parking spaces or so and then Mansfield will be in good shape.
Two sites have already been cleared: The old warehouse facing Route 140 was leveled about a year ago. And the heap of buildings that was between the existing parking lot and the Foxboro line went at about the same time.

In fact, the number of spaces has been REDUCED. The easternmost two rows of town-owned parking has been privitzied. A guy sits in a white minivan each morning checking cars that have subscribed on a monthly basis.

The resident-only $2/day spaces and limited number of general parking $2/day spaces fill up by 8:00am, both on the east side of Route 140 and the smaller lot on the west side.

Last I heard from Mansfield, the former proposal for moving the station west of Route 140 and putting in a modern garage is dead.