• New Haven Sound Recordings

• Discussion relating to the NH and its subsidiaries (NYW&B, Union Freight Railroad, Connecticut Company, steamship lines, etc.). up until its 1969 inclusion into the Penn Central merger. This forum is also for the discussion of efforts to preserve former New Haven equipment, artifacts and its history. You may also wish to visit www.nhrhta.org for more information.
Discussion relating to the NH and its subsidiaries (NYW&B, Union Freight Railroad, Connecticut Company, steamship lines, etc.). up until its 1969 inclusion into the Penn Central merger. This forum is also for the discussion of efforts to preserve former New Haven equipment, artifacts and its history. You may also wish to visit www.nhrhta.org for more information.
  by Earle Baldwin

While looking through some older threads on the New Haven Forum, I noticed there had been discussion regarding the existence of sound recordings of New Haven locomotives, particularly those of electrics. Findings appeared to be inconclusive at the time.

Rather than resurrect an old thread, I thought I should it best to begin a new one. A gentleman by the name of Jay Winn offers an extensive range of audio recordings on CD. Trading under the name of Vintage Railroad Audio, Mr. Winn offers a number of albums dedicated to New Haven power, one of which concentrates on electric operations. In the program's description, it is stated the recordings were made by a NH Engineer. Of special interest are several cab ride sequences aboard EP-4 and EP-5 motors. After listening to the EP-5 track, it is easy to understand how the locomotive acquired its "Jet" nickname. I purchased the NH electric program and recommend it highly. I was quite pleasantly surprised to learn this material even existed.

Here is the link to Mr. Winn's homepage:

http://www.vintagerailroadaudio.com

Once at the homepage, click on the listing of programs and arrow down to locate items of interest. Good luck.