Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

by peanut1

DutchRailnut wrote:And how many people rode in open vestibules of ACMU's ??
How many people ride in end vestibules of Bombardiers were it clearly states " passengers can not ride in end vestibules"
I agree with you dutch. I remember people doing it on the LIRR in the summer when they ran there ceremony coaches back in 99-00.
  by kitn1mcc

i wonder if some one had a key and was trying to make a shocking youtube video
  by RearOfSignal

Door key won't open a door on a moving train(above V-Zero).
  by Tommy Meehan

Let's face it, you're dealing with human beings, there's crews and then there's crews, you know what I mean?

About fifteen years ago a car went off a street in Mt. Vernon, down into the cut and hit a passing NH local. The crew didn't notice that one either, until passengers alerted them.......at New Rochelle. :)
  by SubaruWRX

So the train is unable to move with the doors opened or can they be moved with a key in the door?

I saw the clip on News 12.. the worst I've seen was a door about 2 in open at the top.. It was bound to happen sooner or later
  by Trainer

If a passenger had gotten out of their seat and pulled the emergency brake handle, would he get thanked by the crew or scolded by them?
  by Trainer

I think that the deafening silence answers my question, and explains why none of savvy riders did anything about it.
  by Ridgefielder

Trainer wrote:If a passenger had gotten out of their seat and pulled the emergency brake handle, would he get thanked by the crew or scolded by them?
With the delays/breakdowns/general frustration of everyone this winter, I think anyone attempting to pull the emergency brake when they were only 10 minutes out of GCT would risk being scolded (or worse) by the other passengers, never mind the crew! :-D
  by MNCRR9000

I also have a feeling that pulling the emergency brake while on the park avenue viaduct could foul things up a little bit with the trains behind it having to slow down or even come to a stop.
  by RearOfSignal

MNCRR9000 wrote:I also have a feeling that pulling the emergency brake while on the park avenue viaduct could foul things up a little bit with the trains behind it having to slow down or even come to a stop.
So would someone falling out of an open door. Trains can be recharged, people on the other hand... well you get the point.
  by MNCRR9000

RearOfSignal wrote:
MNCRR9000 wrote:I also have a feeling that pulling the emergency brake while on the park avenue viaduct could foul things up a little bit with the trains behind it having to slow down or even come to a stop.
So would someone falling out of an open door. Trains can be recharged, people on the other hand... well you get the point.
Yepp I get the point. They are lucky that nobody fell out.
  by MACTRAXX

Slides wrote:Here's the original video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vqeR97twhOU

And the comment from the guy who took the video:
"The door was in its pocket, not sure it could have been pulled out and a passenger did tell a conductor, but he never came back to check it out even though he was in the same car with us."

But I would NOT be standing there if I was a passenger.
Slides and Everyone: I saw this video on different news outlets like WCBS and News 12 Connecticut (Interactive) and I thought:

Why did this guy just take this video and not try to get someone to pull the door closed which was finally done when the train was in the Park Avenue Tunnel? He should have at least gotten the car number which was as close as the end doors...

With the instructions posted on the door leaf control panel door someone should have asked to at least try to close the door using the hand control inside...I wonder if it was the door control being dead as I suspect or if it was cut-out...

You are right-it definitely is dangerous for someone to ride so close to that open door...

I remember something similar with the LIRR M1s back one night when I was riding back to Ronkonkoma back about 2001...there was a door hung up in the car I was riding in and I reported it to the Engineer who said "just kick it" and the stuck door closed and he received a door light...this door was delaying the train at almost every stop...finally a crew member cut the offending panel out and placed an "Out of Service" sticker on it...

Thankfully no one pulled the emergency cord as it would have made this become an especially dangerous situation...

The video poster did want to show a dangerous situation but as usual the media blew this out of proportion like WCBS calling out MNCR for how safe their trains are...

Thoughts from MACTRAXX
  by L'mont

DutchRailnut wrote:And how many people rode in open vestibules of ACMU's ??
How many people ride in end vestibules of Bombardiers were it clearly states " passengers can not ride in end vestibules"

I remember riding the LIRR Montauk Branch before the bi-levels and standing on the bottom step pulling into the station. You could hop right off before she came to a complete stop. I miss that....

Look at trains in India, if they can hang on to the outside, they'll ride. If you fall off, too bad. You're risk, your pain. Everyone here has to be guarded and coddled. We could use a little more Darwin from time to time.
  by GreenportScoot

I rode in many an open vestibule way-back-when on the LIRR...this really doesn't strike me as something to bound through the train in search of a conductor for, and definitely not something to pull the emergency chord over. The physics necessary to fling someone out of that half open door rarely occur on commuter lines, and certainly not on that stretch of track. Amusing? Yes. Incredibly dangerous? Hardly.
  by RearOfSignal

GreenportScoot wrote:I rode in many an open vestibule way-back-when on the LIRR...this really doesn't strike me as something to bound through the train in search of a conductor for, and definitely not something to pull the emergency chord over. The physics necessary to fling someone out of that half open door rarely occur on commuter lines, and certainly not on that stretch of track. Amusing? Yes. Incredibly dangerous? Hardly.
Well, the railroad takes it pretty seriously. Anytime this happens -when a door spontaneously opens -the train crew must visually ensure each door is closed on the entire train. A process that depending on the length of the train can easily take up to 5 minutes for each station stop. The railroad would much rather have a few late trains than a serious injury or worse, fatality. If someone pulled the brake on my train if this happened I would completely understand.

Another thing to keep in mind... not every incident that happens makes it to the media or this forum.