Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

by Ridgefielder

Trainer wrote:
pnaw10 wrote:
checkthedoorlight wrote:Hmm, I take it they purposely assign the diesels to trains that make less than 5 stops? 1527 looks like the other likely New Haven candidate.
I'm no expert, but since nobody else has replied yet, if you are correct in your assumption... it's probably because diesels take longer to get up to full speed. If a diesel and an electric ran side-by-side, making all the local stops, the electric would get to the destination considerably sooner because electrics can accelerate much quicker than diesels.

Because it takes diesels more time to speed up after a station stop, it makes sense to keep them restricted to express runs. The electrics can make local runs faster than the diesels can.
And it makes even more sense to restrict the electrics to the main line local runs instead of sending them out on branch line express service, for obvious reasons, so it works out well on both ends.

That is until they electrify the Danbury branch, which probably won't be until the studies get completed in 2057.
IMHO, having read the studies, the only way the Danbury gets re-electrified is if MNR/CDOT decide to pull a SEPTA and go electric-only. Makes no sense otherwise-- it's only a 4-5min time saving, if that. The only reason the line was wired back in the '20s was to get rid of a steam-to-electric transfer at Stamford.
  by FL9AC

To electrify the Danbury branch would be the most idiotic move they could make...it won't work...period.

To answer the TOPIC:

not always but many times I have a Maxi bomb early Sunday morning on both train 6500 and 6503.
  by Noel Weaver

In the past the electrified Danbury Branch worked and it worked very well with electric locomotives built in the 20's and 30's. They pulled HW and LW coaches, parlor cars, dining cars and whatever else with very little difficulty. The diesels of today are doing an adequate job although no better than the motors of the past. Having said that, it would be a waste of money to put wires back on this line today although dilfferent diesel equipment might be better sometime in the future. As for diesel operation on the electrified mainline, with the exception of through trains off the Danbury or Waterbury Branches, this makes absolutely no sense today any more than it made sense for the New Haven to maintain wires and power systems but run diesels burning diesel fuel under them, this contributed to the New Haven's financial problems all through the 60's. On this my opinion probably is not worth "squat" but I think you have seen the last of the expansion of electric operations on Metro-North for a long, long time.
Noel Weaver
  by Steamboat Willie

Noel, the reason behind running diesel trains specifically at night are due to power outages when they are doing track work. I am sure you knew this, but it isn't as if fleet management calls for diesel equipment for whatever train for the hell of it. I think once more M8s are in the cycle will you see less diesel trains running as mainline trains (New Rochelle/Harrison zippers and NHV expresses.)
  by Noel Weaver

Steamboat Willie wrote:Noel, the reason behind running diesel trains specifically at night are due to power outages when they are doing track work. I am sure you knew this, but it isn't as if fleet management calls for diesel equipment for whatever train for the hell of it. I think once more M8s are in the cycle will you see less diesel trains running as mainline trains (New Rochelle/Harrison zippers and NHV expresses.)
Of course this makes a lot of sense. My comments were directed toward the past in this case when the New Haven ran a vast majority of its New Haven - New York passenger service with FL-9's, we only had the jets plus the MU's and although the MU's ran to New Haven from time to time they simply did not have enough of them. Penn Central found a way to drastically increase the service between New York and New Haven and nearly all of the off peak service was with MU's. Running diesel powered trains to allow MOW or electrical work would be a good use of the existing diesel power, no argument there for sure. Even years ago I can remember the New Haven putting a single Budd Car (RDC) on the New Canaan Dink to allow for work on the wires to take place although they might annul some of the service as well.
Noel Weaver
  by dmclement

blockline4180 wrote:Are through diesel sets still used on the line from GCT to New Haven during the week?? If so, what train numbers...Thanks.
I'm also looking for this information, can anyone help out?
  by RearOfSignal

The last train to New Haven at night(early morning) is usually a bomb train.
  by DutchRailnut

two in morning from New Haven and one from Stamford.
  by Amtrak7

According to my Spring 2011 ridership book, these off peak trains use diesels: (I don't have consist info for peaks)

1304, 6503, 6505, 6574 (Sat), 6500 (Sat), 6502 (Sat), 6304 (Sun)
  by FL9AC

Again I get a maxi bomb on 6500 on Sundays as well. It's hit or miss with some of these trains based on equipment shortages and other factors.
  by blockline4180

DutchRailnut wrote:two in morning from New Haven and one from Stamford.
Thanks!