Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

by FL9AC

The last locomotive through the periodic inspection line in the historic Croton-Harmon diesel shop will be outshopped as of this week with that part of the diesel facility gang moving into the new building as of next week and picking back up with inspections.
  by RearOfSignal

It had been a while since I had been in Harmon, but I was surprised at the progress that they've made. It's funny there's a sign along the fence by the T&E building about the project stating completion as January 2009, so much for that. The old shop tracks have all been renumbered, +100.

What's the plan for the track layout. I see the tracks by the north end of the Coach shop now have bumpers on them. Will all the shop tracks have bumpers on the north end, or will there be a north end and south end like there is now in the current shop? Seeing as the parking lot and Material Distribution Building are in the way this might not be possible.

If any one has a proposed layout that'd be great.
  by DutchRailnut

Original building eventually will come down, only thing remaining will be new shops, the new store house(parts) and old historic Harmon yard tower (now yard office)
demolition is not slated till at least next year.

Here is great picture series by Dave Gianna
http://www.flickr.com/photos/19856120@N ... 184912151/

with my favorite:

Last edited by DutchRailnut on Wed Sep 16, 2009 12:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
  by RearOfSignal

The locomotive shop is the building on the left, the coach shop is the building on the right. From this aerial shot it doesn't look like the north end shop tracks will connect to anything.
Last edited by RearOfSignal on Wed Sep 16, 2009 1:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
  by DutchRailnut

The diesel shop at north end will be connected to track 82 (182?) the north end of MU shop will connect to 82 once the old store room is removed.
  by MNCRR9000

DutchRailnut wrote:Original building eventually will come down, only thing remaining will be new shops, the new store house(parts) and old historic Harmon yard tower (now yard office)
demolition is not slated till at least next year.
Hey Dutch, when you mean original building do you mean this one.

I used one of Dave Giannas photos.
  by RearOfSignal

In the picture you have there, what is circled in yellow is coming down. The yard office, the small building to the right of the curve in the middle of the roadway overpass is staying. Part of the warehouse is the blue building below the yellow circle which is staying.
  by MNCRR9000

Oh wow. I am surprised that the building is coming down. Seems like that is going to be a big demolition job. After the building is taken down is the space just going to be used as extra storage tracks?
  by RearOfSignal

MNCRR9000 wrote:After the building is taken down is the space just going to be used as extra storage tracks?
They're gonna make it a Chucky Cheese!
  by MNCRR9000

RearOfSignal wrote:
MNCRR9000 wrote:After the building is taken down is the space just going to be used as extra storage tracks?
They're gonna make it a Chucky Cheese!
Haha
  by M1 9147

Wow, lots of progress since last year! I now understand why there is no Open House this year!
  by MNCRR9000

So approximately when is the whole Croton Harmon Shop Replacement project supposed to be complete by?
  by DutchRailnut

Stuff will be all moved to new buildings by november I believe, then demolition of old shop, then another shop still needs to be built.
The current stage is Diesel shop and car (coach) shop only, they still have to built m-7 shop and support shop, both will find temporary housing in car shop, I believe
  by MNCRR9000

So sounds like they still have a fair amount of work that needs to be done. Any idea where the new M7 shop and support building is going to go?