Railroad Forums 

• New Hampshire HB1432

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

#1589775  by b&m 1566

NH state legislators are at it again to stop funding new passenger rail projects. The bill is in its infancy stage and is clearly aimed to stop any and all progress from being made on the commuter rail front. However, depending on how the bill is worded and amended throughout the processes, it could pose a threat to NH's heritage operations if worded too general. It's something to keep an eye on, it looks like they already had one public hearing on the matter but no reports from that hearing that I can find.
See here for more information.
Last edited by b&m 1566 on Wed Jan 19, 2022 3:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 #1589778  by BandA

Hmm... no sales tax on ticket sales, no property tax if the line is owned by the state, little or no freight on some lines. There is a NH Business Profits Tax of 7.7% and a Business Enterprise Tax of 0.60%, but I suspect that the heritage operators don't have tons of profit. They could implement a ticket surcharge that might repay local matches over time.
 #1589790  by b&m 1566

In addition to those taxes the state gets 10% of ticket profits sold (excluding the Conway Scenic, Conway bound trains since the railroad owns that property). DOT can barely cover general maintenance expenses now, and any significant repairs (large tie replacement project, crossing replacements, etc.) need to be carried out, they have to apply for emergency funds to help cover costs. Again, I don't see this bill being an issue for the heritage operations, but I do caution if the bill pass, the wording of the bill will be critical to not handicap the heritage operations any more than they already are now.
 #1589876  by NHN503

Has no effect on NH's heritage railroads. Passenger rail (commuter/intercity) and the tourist railroads are covered under different definitions. This bill is written for Commuter/Intercity rail.
 #1592033  by mbrproductions

Any updates on this bill as of yet? looks like all its sponsors are republicans (because of course they are). I hope it is killed, Commuter Rail service to NH is long overdue.
 #1604012  by b&m 1566

I thought this house bill had been tabled, apparently it wasn't for long. Amendments we're made that specify the limitations only to the Nashua and Manchester commuter rail corridor. There hasn't been any push back that I can see regarding this bill.
https://legiscan.com/NH/bill/HB1432/2022
 #1604042  by BandA

It says
Action: 2022-05-12 - Sen. Birdsell Refused to Accede to House Request for Committee of Conference
I *assume* that means that the bill is dead since May. Text reflects Senate changes but the House has not agreed to them.
 #1604056  by NHN503

BandA wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 4:24 pm It says
Action: 2022-05-12 - Sen. Birdsell Refused to Accede to House Request for Committee of Conference
I *assume* that means that the bill is dead since May. Text reflects Senate changes but the House has not agreed to them.
Yes..ish. It just means its tabled in bizarro world. The bill went to the Senate, the Senate made changes, and both have to agree to those changes. Since it was a house bill, the house nonconcured and requested a Committee of Conference with the Senate. To this point the Senate has not agreed to that C of C, but that doesn't kill it as it was originally a house bill, so its effectively tabled indefinitely. Its basically a non-decision decision that puts it in an endless loop as there is no floor vote to postpone it and since it hasn't gone to C of C it can't get an inexpedient to legislate vote, which would kill it.