Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

by BuddR32

onorclose7 wrote:Will faulty cameras be be enough to take the equipment out of service?
They remain to be seen, but likely one onboard wouldn't even know they're inoperative.
  by BuddR32

Slippy wrote:You can thank Senator Schumer for the push of cameras. Any tampering of the cameras will be considered tampering with a safety device, and employees will be terminated. Other railroads in the industry who have implemented cameras who had employees tinkering with it were fired. Also, there will be no recorded audio outside the cabs.
Ah, our friend Schumer. He just loves camera's so much. Combine his love of being in from of a camera with his professional railroad experience, I'm surprised we haven't had them sooner.

I do see the outward forward facing cameras being a plus for the engineer. I'm still not certain what they hope to gain from the in-cab one.
  by ADL6009

An inward facing camera would have given a lot of insight into what happened during the crash of Amtrack 188. That knowledge could be used to help prevent similar accidents in the future