• New Equipment on the Atlantic City Line?

• Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.
Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

by SubwayTim

Before yesterday (7/29/06), the last time I rode NJT's Atlantic City Line was back in November 2001, and they were still using pretty much the same equipment that has been in use since the line first went into service. The trains I rode yesterday, both to and from Atlantic City looked brand new! Unlike the old trains on the A.C. Line, these had center doors. If they are new trains, when were they put into service on the A.C. Line? They were very clean, so I don't think they were there very long. Anyway, they are nice!

by Bay Head Local

There Comet IV's(these cars came out in 1996) and they've been down ther for a while now.

by sullivan1985

Comet I's and IB's used to be king down there, but all that equipment has been moved up to the Hoboken Division only as of the last few months.

Over the last few years though Comet IV's and III's along with the 4200 series GP40PH-2B's have been king down there.
  by mcmannors

SubwayTim wrote:They were very clean...
Wow! Coach cleaners actually doing their job? :-)

by nick11a

The Comet IIIs (center doors, thing black stripe and brown seats) and Comet IVs (center doors, thick black stripe and blue seats) have been down there for a few years now. I think folks complained about the trains down there (Is and IBs) so they sent IIIs and IVs down or so the story went.

by SubwayTim

nick11a wrote:The Comet IIIs (center doors, thing black stripe and brown seats) and Comet IVs (center doors, thick black stripe and blue seats) have been down there for a few years now. I think folks complained about the trains down there (Is and IBs) so they sent IIIs and IVs down or so the story went.
Aren't the seats on the Comet IV's the same as the seats on the Arrow III's, but just a different color (Comet IV's blue and Arrow III's brown)?

by nick11a

SubwayTim wrote:
nick11a wrote:The Comet IIIs (center doors, thing black stripe and brown seats) and Comet IVs (center doors, thick black stripe and blue seats) have been down there for a few years now. I think folks complained about the trains down there (Is and IBs) so they sent IIIs and IVs down or so the story went.
Aren't the seats on the Comet IV's the same as the seats on the Arrow III's, but just a different color (Comet IV's blue and Arrow III's brown)?
Yeah, they're basically the same seats, except different color, different material and different texture. The Comet IIIs and Arrow IIIs have the same type of seats though.

by ScottTheNiceGuy

sullivan1985 wrote:Comet I's and IB's used to be king down there, but all that equipment has been moved up to the Hoboken Division only as of the last few months.

Over the last few years though Comet IV's and III's along with the 4200 series GP40PH-2B's have been king down there.
So how exactly does all the equipment get back and forth, say for repairs? Do they run it along the NEC or are there other local rails?

by PRSL1972

Some of the minor work can be done in AC. The heavy work is done at the MMC in Kearny. The train will take the corridor in Philadelphia and shoot up.

by jfrey40535

Does anyone know how often NJT cycles out equipment on the ACL? On a few rare occasions I've caught a set running up the NEC.

Any guess as to when the new diesels will make their way down to Philly? I wonder if they will change them all at once or if they will rotate in slowly. I'd like to catch a few more pictures of the Geeps before they leave, so if anyone has an idea of when that will be, please let us know.

by Njt4300

I see a different set down here every week. From what I know moves to the MMC occur on Sunday night, as for the PL42's DON'T expect to see them down here for YEARS if EVER! our geeps are fine they won't be going anywere in the near future, I'd say maybe 5-8 yrs. so you have plenty of time to watch for 4200's down in Philly.

by transit383

jfrey40535 wrote:Does anyone know how often NJT cycles out equipment on the ACL? On a few rare occasions I've caught a set running up the NEC.

Any guess as to when the new diesels will make their way down to Philly? I wonder if they will change them all at once or if they will rotate in slowly. I'd like to catch a few more pictures of the Geeps before they leave, so if anyone has an idea of when that will be, please let us know.
I'd like to point out that on the east end of the line (Hammonton, Egg Harbor, Absecon), the photo angles for the diesels are *awful* as you are always shooting into the sun. The locomotives are always on the west end of the train so they always face Philadelphia. The cab car photos come out very nice though!

by jfrey40535

Yes, I've noticed it is difficult to get a good shot with the geep in the lead. Living in Philly, I haven't ventured too far down the line by car. The furthest I went so far was Berlin, and unforuntately I missed the WB train because I got lost (I always get lost in NJ) but I did get a shot in West of Cherry Hill, but wasn't a prime location. Try, try again....

by CNJGeep

Just got back from AC..only one train in station when I went by...
4145, III/III/5023