• new by Atlas: HO Pan Am and Guilford GP-40s

• Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.
Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.

Moderators: 3rdrail, stilson4283, Otto Vondrak

by p42thedowneaster

Wow! Watch out custom painters and builders, Atlas is making some really neat stuff!

Atlas has recently announced:
A low-nose GP40 PAN AM

And a Wide-nose GP40-2W in Guilford

by SilverLakeRailroad

Finally they've done it, painted the schemes of the most terrific paint scheme ever!, what's better the black with a red stripe, or solid dark blue with white lettering... i'm amazed it took atlas so long, everyone loves these paint schemes!!! ;)
  by p42thedowneaster

Now that there is a GP40-2W...I think we can expect to see the Pan Am version with the light blue and large letters....which really is a spectacular paint scheme.

That said, after so many years I do kinda like the old Guilford gray haha. I have 2 on order.
  by SilverLakeRailroad

I agree, I like it better too, at least it has some kind of scheme (red stripe), not just a solid color.. what happened to that first paint scheme on the boxcars.. that was the best.. id like that on atlas engines
  by p42thedowneaster

So what ever happened to the GP40-2W's I ordered back in August? (due Dec, 2009)
  by GOLDEN-ARM

slrr1 wrote:Finally they've done it, painted the schemes of the most terrific paint scheme ever!, what's better the black with a red stripe, or solid dark blue with white lettering...
um, lets see. Cornell Red and Yellow stripe, Gray and Yellow stripe, Black and white, Tuscan Red with Yellow stripe. :P
  by cnj1524

Atlas has been up to date with paint but where are the NEW MODELS,and when you order be preparied to wait about
a year from date till see it.
  by p42thedowneaster

It's very strange... I saw these models at the Springfield train show months ago. The -2w looked great... Could the Chinese or Atlas(US) be holding out to get a better exchange rate or something? It's crazy, my dealer even has to pay them up front now.
  by workextra

http://www.atlasrr.com/ordership.htm
scroll down to the HO GP40-2(W) Locomotive box and it says it has not shipped.
The Estimated shipping date is in August 2010 so I guess they're waiting for the rates and a full container.
  by p42thedowneaster

It was the Guilford GP40-2W is the loco in question, but thanks for the link! They seem to have a bunch of them, keeping my eyes open for a deal.
  by NJTRailfan

Situations like this is why we need to have our stuff MADE IN THE USA!!! Enough of this Made in China crap that is killing our soul in this country. I do recall a time when this stuff was made right here in NJ.