• New Alco Paint

• Discussion related to New York, Susquehanna & Western operations past and present. Also includes some discussion related to Deleware Otsego owned and operated shortlines. Official web site can be found here: NYSW.COM.
Discussion related to New York, Susquehanna & Western operations past and present. Also includes some discussion related to Deleware Otsego owned and operated shortlines. Official web site can be found here: NYSW.COM.

Moderators: GOLDEN-ARM, NJ Vike

by Tadman

Hey there home gamers,
I'm horrible with paintshop or photoshop, but those of you that do theoretical paint schemes: we should have a contest for a new NYSW livery to be applied to the M636 fleet. Some type of tradition such as yellow/blk should be preserved, but do something interesting as these M636's are a blank canvas so far.

by scottychaos

I "painted" one a few months back:

http://www.railfan.net/railpix/submit/s ... hanna2.jpg

I painted just the "regular" NYSW scheme, nothing new or different..
maybe I will try that too!

done with photoshop 6.

Scot

by ANDY117

Hey Scot! Good to see ya back again! And im trying to look at it, but it won't load. Can you just post it in a post? like my photos?

by Tadman

nicely done, scotty.

by D.Carleton

For simplicity's sake I'd steam clean the long hood and give it a fresh coat of gloss black with yellow Susquehanna lettering. Then I'd sand down the cab, nose and end of the long hood and paint yellow with a black line running forward along the bottom to a "v" on the nose. Finally, add a line of yellow Scotchbright along the walkway. Now, if I really had my druthers I'd take a plasma cutter to that now superfluous bell bracket and move the headlights between the numberboards, where they belong. (Sorry, that happens to be a pet peeve of mine.)

by Lackawanna484

D.Carleton wrote:For simplicity's sake I'd steam clean the long hood and give it a fresh coat of gloss black with yellow Susquehanna lettering. Then I'd sand down the cab, nose and end of the long hood and paint yellow with a black line running forward along the bottom to a "v" on the nose. Finally, add a line of yellow Scotchbright along the walkway. Now, if I really had my druthers I'd take a plasma cutter to that now superfluous bell bracket and move the headlights between the numberboards, where they belong. (Sorry, that happens to be a pet peeve of mine.)
Black with yellow lettering sounds interesting.

That's similar to what the Morristown & Erie did with their 7215 (bright red on a black matte background long hood). Reverse of the traditional M&E with black letters / numbers on a red background

by msernak

Is there confirmation that these will even be painted?

by scottychaos

ANDY117 wrote:Hey Scot! Good to see ya back again! And im trying to look at it, but it won't load. Can you just post it in a post? like my photos?
Hey Andy, its good to be back! :P
im sure you have already seen the photo..but try this link, it should work:

http://www.railfan.net/railpix/submit/s ... hanna2.jpg

I *could* technically post it into this thread, but its rather large for that..
it would go against "internet forum etiquette"..although tecnically it could be done.
generally you dont want to post images wider than 640 pixels into a forum thread..
msernak wrote:Is there confirmation that these will even be painted?
no, none..I doubt the NYSW wants to spend the money to paint units that dont really need painting.
the only talk of repainting has been from the wishful thinking of the railfan community..

Scot

by Lackawanna484

I'm sure Walter Rich would be willing to consider any painting request if accompanied by $10,000 - $15,000 in hard cash.

To everyone's amazement, even stone-hearted Union Pacific has created Western Pacific, Katy, CNW, etc heritage painted units.

by Tadman

Does it really cost that much to paint a locomotive? I can't imagine it takes $15K.

Think of it this way - NYSW has some "heritage units" representing their previous owners...

by njt4172

Lackawanna484 wrote:I'm sure Walter Rich would be willing to consider any painting request if accompanied by $10,000 - $15,000 in hard cash.

To everyone's amazement, even stone-hearted Union Pacific has created Western Pacific, Katy, CNW, etc heritage painted units.
Looks for CSX to make annoucements soon for their own program!

Steve

by scottychaos

njt4172 wrote: Looks for CSX to make annoucements soon for their own program!

Steve
woah! this could be ineresting!! :-D
I wonder what CSX would paint?
the obvious roads include:

B&O
C&O
W&M
Chessie
Seaboard
L&N
ACL
Conrail

but who can really lay claim to the railroads that went into Conrail??
PC
PRR
NYC
LV
EL
RDG
NH
CNJ
LNE

Since NS and CSX split Conrail more or less equally, I doubt that CSX would consider those roads as part of their "direct" heritage..
since NS alsooperates over many of those railroads original routes.
while B&O, C&O, L&N, etc are "all CSX"..if you get my drift..

I would bet that CSX would probably paint a Chessie system, L&N and Conrail unit to start with..IMO those roads represent the main body of modern CSX..
very interesting!
Scot

by njt4172

Scott,

But like Noel Weaver said, CSX and UP don't care about their heritage. They are doing it only to reap the benefits for trademark purposes in the model world..... Hopefully the heritage painted Chessie units will be authentic, but I'm not holding my breath....The UP MKT and WP ones look fake....

Steve

by scottychaos

njt4172 wrote:Scott,

But like Noel Weaver said, CSX and UP don't care about their heritage. They are doing it only to reap the benefits for trademark purposes in the model world..... Hopefully the heritage painted Chessie units will be authentic, but I'm not holding my breath....The UP MKT and WP ones look fake....

Steve
I agree..I also believe the railroads are doing this for one reason only..
to protect their copyrights..
which is simply good buisness sense, all companys do it.
and they get a bit of good PR out of it too, from the majority of people who dont understand the *real* reason for the heritage units..

the UP heritage units were never meant to look "real"..they are highly stylized interpretations of the original schemes..much "artistic license" was taken..they were never intended to look real.

perhaps CSX will keep the schemes more realistic, more authentic.
Imagine the Chessie system scheme on something like a SD70AC!

Scot

by jmp883

Excellent job Scotty! :-D

Tadman wrote:
Does it really cost that much to paint a locomotive? I can't imagine it takes $15K.
A good friend of mine paints cars and trucks for a living and even a properly done, quality, basic single-color 'factory' repaint will cost upward of $1500. Get into multi-colors, special paint effects, and patterns and you add considerably to the cost of the job. I looked into having my Harley Sportster repainted gloss black/clearcoat without the H-D graphics included and got quotes from 2 HD dealers, my friend I just mentioned, and 1 other paint shop. I was looking at anywhere from $800-$1200. And that was only for the gas tank! Needless to say, I didn't repaint the Sportster, I just lived with the ugly logo they put on the 2000 models.

A locomotive doesn't need to be clearcoated, doesn't need metal-flake paint or overly complicated patterns. It is still a lot of work to clean, mask, and paint one. It seems that maybe $15,000 might be a little on the low side.