• Need help

• General discussion about railroad operations, related facilities, maps, and other resources.
General discussion about railroad operations, related facilities, maps, and other resources.

Moderator: Robert Paniagua

by I love Trains

Hey everyone i am from kentucky and will be attending the Marshall conductor school in west virginia pretty soon, but first i have to go to the ortiention/testing session and there will be two or three hundred people there for 5-10 job openings, so what could i do in high school and after high school to get the person hiring me attention and not apply three or four times just once or twice?

ANY HELP WILL BE GREAT HELP. Thanks scott

by natethegreat

Well, Graduating from high school would be a good start. Also, keep your attendance up, and dont miss a lot of days. Lots of companies don't want someone who skips on them.
  by I love Trains

Hey thanks for the help!!

by CSX Conductor

I would suggest not applying until you are at least 18 years of age and have graduated high school. Not to be rude, but if you don't you're wasting your time as well as the recruiter's. :wink:
  by I love Trains

Hey thanks for all the help and yea i talked to a conductor in my town and he said wait till you get out of high school then apply because the worst that could happen is they say no,right and they have a shortage of conductors so they need all the people they can get right?? And if they say no, apply again and again until I get picked? Also do you have to wait a period of time until you can apply again? Any help will be helpful. Thanks scott

by mikesummer

Speaking from personal experience, it is not always easy to get into the railroad even with higher education and people on the inside putting in a good word for you. I work for the largest rail carrier in the US and with a higher education and good grades and a good work history and knowing several people on the inside it still took me several applications over a period of a couple of years to get my foot in the door. Everyone wants to work for the railroad and there is a lot of competition for the jobs. Also, don't expect to get your first job at the railroad and automatically be a conductor right away just because you took some classes. You need to take any job you can possibly get working for the railroad. Get your foot in the door doing anything.

With all that being said, if you work hard enough and want it bad enough you will succeed. Don't give up and don't get discouraged. If you are a safe, hard worker and bang on the door long enough, eventually someone will let you in. Good luck to you.

P.S. And if you do get in, you may hear a lot of griping and negativity. Don't listen to any of it. Your job will be what you make of it.