Railroad Forums 

• NECR/P&W Executive Special

• Topics relating to the operation of the P&W Railroad, which is a subsidiary of Genesee and Wyoming. Regional freight railroad based in Worcester and operating in Massachusetts, Rhode Island, Connecticut, and New York.
    Official Website
Topics relating to the operation of the P&W Railroad, which is a subsidiary of Genesee and Wyoming. Regional freight railroad based in Worcester and operating in Massachusetts, Rhode Island, Connecticut, and New York.
Official Website

Moderator: MEC407

#1015447  by dcm74

A couple of shots of the special arriving and leaving Palmer. Stoped in Palmer long enough to pick up box lunches and change crews then departed for Willimantic and a trip up the P&W to Worcester.
 #1015611  by Reader#108

Good stuff!

I chased it from Palmer down through CT and when I was coming home, it finally pulled in to

Worcester at about 5:30.

Pics on my page-https://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Preci ... 4390695506
 #1015853  by dcm74

atsf sp wrote:Why the CN car?
Note the rear facing observation window. Don't think NECR or P&W has anything similar.
 #1016063  by masscoastalfan

According to the PW and NECR yahoo groups CN officials were on the train discussing possible traffic from cn to the PW via NECR. The train was partially Cn's idea so they put their own car on the train.
 #1016877  by Ridgefielder

Railroad Gator wrote:May be it is time to think about the Northern Line going back in.??? It is a straight shot down and back up to NECR
Pretty sure the whole point of the excersize is to *avoid* PanAm. Otherwise they could just hand off to PAS at Miller's Falls.

Heck, forget the Northern- complete the SNE! :-D
 #1018003  by Reader#108

I saw a partnership announcement between P&W and NECR somewhere.......

hey are trying to get CN to ship over their lines to Worcester.....

Lots of work needed on the Willimantic branch if that is to happen.....
 #1018017  by etna9726b

Heck of a dip down into CT to get back north to Worcester. Does CN use CSX now, via Selkirk, W. Springfield, Palmer (the *other* track in the photo) to Worcester ?
 #1018025  by Cosmo

Reader#108 wrote:I saw a partnership announcement between P&W and NECR somewhere.......

A lot of work has already been done to the Willi. IIRC, they installed CWR or are planning to. Much of the work was funded by the State.
 #1018027  by wicked

Reader#108 wrote:I saw a partnership announcement between P&W and NECR somewhere.......

I presume you're talking about this?

http://www.progressiverailroading.com/p ... p?id=29954
 #1018047  by Cosmo

Ok, this is a bit more "speculative," but...
...if the GT/CV had approached the NY&NE back before NH took control of it and worked out a deal (say, circa 1889-1890 ish,)
1) The NY&NE might have survived as part of the GT/CV,
2) The HP&F route to providence via Wilimantic might have remained active longer,
3) The SNE might never have been (partially) built or even conceived!
As it is now, what is happening is what could/would have happened then. Traffic from the old CV is making it's way down over the old NY&NE/HP&F to the N&W and P&W mains to go to Providence.
If only the HP&F from Plainfield/Moosup hadn't been torn up already, imagine if that route was still viable? Direct shot over to Providence from Wilimantic!
Too bad they let that one go, P&W DID own it for a while.
Sadly, I cant see it being anything other than completely cost-prohibitive to put back, (and OH, the NIMBYs!) :sad:
 #1018050  by MEC407

http://www.railroad.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=179&t=92614
 #1018135  by Cosmo

Ok, looks like the improvements to the Willi-Versailles-Plainfield line are coming from Federal sources.
http://www.railroad.net/forums/viewtopi ... 79&t=85515

Just took a walk on the line East of Moosup today. Not "impossible," but very highly unlikely that it will ever see rebuilding. Would probably need to find away around downtown Moosup to make it work.