• NBSR/MMA interchanges

• Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.
Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.

Moderator: MEC407

by roberttosh

Was curious to know what type of car counts there are for daily interchanges between PAR and MMA at Northern Maine Jct and NBSR at Keag. With the mill at Old Town now closed, I can't imagine that the IP mill at Bucksport alone provides enough tonnage to fill out NMED, which seems to be a fairly large train, so again, just wondering what else this train carries? Any info would be appreciated. Thanks!

by emd_16645

Was curious to know what type of car counts there are for daily interchanges between PAR and MMA at Northern Maine Jct and NBSR at Keag. With the mill at Old Town now closed, I can't imagine that the IP mill at Bucksport alone provides enough tonnage to fill out NMED, which seems to be a fairly large train, so again, just wondering what else this train carries? Any info would be appreciated. Thanks!
Bucksport supplies about 20-30 cars to NMED. MABA supplies another 20-40. The MMA may supply up to 20 cars of interchange traffic. The biggest source of interchange off the MMA to PAR is 8 to 16 NBSR log racks that are sent to the mill at Sappi. The MMA ran about 30-35 cars each way today into NMJ.

by roberttosh

Thanks for the info!! I didn't realize that PAR was doing so well with the NBSR/Irvings out of Saint John. I knew they were handling some Lumber, Beer and CO2 traffic and what little was left out of Woodland, but didn't think it was more than 5-10 cars a day. That's good news, thanks again!

by emd_16645

Those car counts are for trains entering the Bangor area from the east. As far as I know, the only remaining customer is the mill at Lincoln, but I don't beleive there is much traffic from there.