• N Scale MBTA layout

• Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.
Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.

Moderators: 3rdrail, stilson4283, Otto Vondrak

by peter1987

Hi all,

I am attempting my first "real" layout, and N-scale replica of a section of the MBTA Red Line in Boston. I have some experience model railroading, but nothing very serious. I wanted advice on preparing a cityscape, what do I need to make good concrete, elevated tracks, etc. Advice or links to anywhere else is much appreciated! I want to spend the time and money to do this right.
  by umtrr-author

Hi Peter and welcome.

Although I'm a long time N Scaler, I'm not an expert on cityscapes. There is a relatively sparse amount of truly urban material out there in N, although you do find the occassional large building.

There is a company that I believe is located in Canada that is doing elevated track structures. I think they are modeled on the Chicago "El" but could be adopted to other uses. Building with plastic shapes and girders would also work.

Not sure exactly what kind of concrete you're looking for; there are several answers. Cast plaster works, for example. But for "concrete" roads I use thin plastic with the appropriate paint, usually from Polly Scale. In terms of scenic treatments, it's certainly possible to learn about techniques in any scale and adopt them as appropriate to N Scale.

This seems like it will be a very interesting project.
  by jaystreetcrr

Model Railroader/Kalmbach publishes a book called something like Modeling Urban Scenery that should be a lot of help and happens to feature a Boston waterfront line layout. I've used styrene to make concrete streets and styrene brick sheets to make cobblestones but spackle/plaster works as well. There's some premolded street/sidewalk stuff out there too. I don't know exactly what the elevated structures you're modeling look like but the above post seems right on...just think of them as long low trestles and you can probably piece something together. Good luck...
  by Otto Vondrak

peter1987 wrote:Hi all,

I am attempting my first "real" layout, and N-scale replica of a section of the MBTA Red Line in Boston. I have some experience model railroading, but nothing very serious. I wanted advice on preparing a cityscape, what do I need to make good concrete, elevated tracks, etc. Advice or links to anywhere else is much appreciated! I want to spend the time and money to do this right.
Phew. Good luck! None of the stuff you're looking for is available commercially that I know about. Sounds like you want to model the south end of the Red Line that is above ground? You'll have to source your own rapid transit cars, or scratchbuild bodies onto existing drives. Cityscapes are not that hard to create, there are several good books on creating urban scenes for model railroads.

http://www.amazon.com/Building-Scenery- ... 0890243433

As for elevated tracks, you'll have to scratchbuild or kitbash all those structures, too. If this is your first layout, I think you'll find there are lot of challenges to overcome... What interests you about the Red Line that makes you want to model it? Perhaps there might be other things you could build instead that would satisfy your interests without having so many difficult objectives...

-otto-
  by trainwayne1

I have a 20' + elevated upper level track that runs at rear of the main yard on my layout. To simulate concrete walls of the structure, I used 4' x 7'' pieces of masonite which I painted with a rough finish tan paint that you can buy in spray cans at Home Depot. I made the pieces about a 1/2 an inch higher than the railhead, which saves having to put ballast down and paint the rails. I then used Plastruct 1/4 inch 90 degree angle along the top edge, with joints every 6 inches. Thin 1/16" Pastruct painted flat black was used to simulate vertical joints at even intervals. Water color washes of greys and browns were used to weather and age the structure.The layout is 2 1/2' wide at that point and looking at the structure from 3' away it looks very realistic. If you are planing on building something closer to the front of the layout would require a bit more detaing.
  by Otto Vondrak

trainwayne1 wrote:I have a 20' + elevated upper level track that runs at rear of the main yard on my layout. To simulate concrete walls of the structure, I used 4' x 7'' pieces of masonite which I painted with a rough finish tan paint that you can buy in spray cans at Home Depot. I made the pieces about a 1/2 an inch higher than the railhead, which saves having to put ballast down and paint the rails. I then used Plastruct 1/4 inch 90 degree angle along the top edge, with joints every 6 inches. Thin 1/16" Pastruct painted flat black was used to simulate vertical joints at even intervals. Water color washes of greys and browns were used to weather and age the structure.The layout is 2 1/2' wide at that point and looking at the structure from 3' away it looks very realistic. If you are planing on building something closer to the front of the layout would require a bit more detaing.
Photos, please! Sounds like a nice solution...
  by Cadet57

Otto Vondrak wrote:
Phew. Good luck! None of the stuff you're looking for is available commercially that I know about. Sounds like you want to model the south end of the Red Line that is above ground? You'll have to source your own rapid transit cars, or scratchbuild bodies onto existing drives.
Otto,

http://islandmodelworks.com/Boston.html#1700

1700's will be made if enough interest is gathered, and they currently make the 1800's.
  by Mirai Zikasu

Remember that those are HO-scale models though. The only MBTA equipment offered in N scale right now is the Kawasaki bilevels. Now, considering how much IMW has put out on the market in the last two years, I'm sure Joe wouldn't mind doing an N scale run. It's all a matter of getting enough demand to finance the original design and production costs--as I'm sure he'd say right about now.
  by Cadet57

Mirai Zikasu wrote:Remember that those are HO-scale models though. The only MBTA equipment offered in N scale right now is the Kawasaki bilevels. Now, considering how much IMW has put out on the market in the last two years, I'm sure Joe wouldn't mind doing an N scale run. It's all a matter of getting enough demand to finance the original design and production costs--as I'm sure he'd say right about now.
I thought the 1800's were N too? If not I stand corrected.
  by keeper1616

I recently saw some Chicago "L" platforms in N. Not sure who made them, or if they'd even be close to what Boston uses, but they do exist.
  by Otto Vondrak

peter1987 wrote:Hi all,

Wonder if we scared off the original poster?

Otto
  by Otto Vondrak

keeper1616 wrote:I recently saw some Chicago "L" platforms in N. Not sure who made them, or if they'd even be close to what Boston uses, but they do exist.
Laser cut kits available in N and HO...

http://modelersguild.com/follow-the-bui ... scale.html

http://www.railroad.net/forums/viewtopi ... 75&start=0

These might work for the pre-1987 MBTA elevated, but it sounded like the original poster was looking to create something more modern.