• N scale B&M caboose?

• Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.
Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.

Moderators: 3rdrail, stilson4283, Otto Vondrak

by NellsChoo

Hi all :D

Can anyone point me to a good quality N scale Boston & Maine caboose? Built would be ideal, but I can't seem to locate anything in B&M blue other than Bowser's offering, which does not provide much detail for the price.

I would try to build my own if I knew which full scale models they used through the years. In other words, I don't know which undecorated kit to look for.

Can anyone help me out?

Jonelle

by thirdrail

They require assembly of a craftsman laser cut wood kit, but see http://www.featherrivertrains.com and click on "North Country Models". You will find an excellent kit of a B&M narrow cupola caboose.

by sjl

Hi Jonelle,

I agree with Thirdrail, the Feather River Models kit looks superb. The body style was common through the fifties, and I believe some were used into the sixties.

Some years back Bev-Bel offered a caboose with a red carbody and the "Minuteman" logo as part of a set; you may find one at a show somewhere.

The Bowser offering, overpriced as it is, is about the only thing readily available for a modern B&M buggie.

Ron

by NellsChoo

Oh my.... pricey and maybe too advanced for me, but the build-ups sure look nice! I will keep them in mind. My issue with the Bowser one is that for the money every detail seems to be molded in place (handrails, etc).

by SLR 393

I actually have two B&M caboose kits that I have released (North Country Models is me!). The first was a narrow monitor buggy and the second is the shorty Laconia caboose - which includes two sides, so you can do both window versions of them. http://www.envprojects.com/NCM/ My stuff is really only available from Chuck at Feather River Trains (unless you can find me in person!).

Randy Leclair has a resin kit out now for a B&M Internation buggy, with cupola, http://home.gwi.net/~caboose/id23.htm I intend to pick one of these up soon!

Other than these three kits, we are stuck with the Bowser cabeese. I am looking at doing a kit for the milk car conversion cabeese, but I have some other stuff in the works for this fall (Maine and north country modelers take note!) that has to get finished first.

by NellsChoo

OOOPS!! Ehem.... HELLO!! :wink:

I don't get why the B&M isn't better represented in scale models. Sure, you can find boxcars, but what about a nice caboose?? At least you are putting some product out there! :D I say GO FOR IT!!

by fglk

Life Like had Northeast Style Cabooses done up for Boston & Maine I don't know if they were done by Bev-Bel or not I do rember seeing something in a 1993 or 1994 Walthers Book. Life-Like Center Cupola Cabooses (Northeast Style) are a common site at a show you could always buy a few for 4 or 5 bucks strip them and repaint them as well.

Depending on what era you are modeling Atlas's Extended Vision Caboose with the Guilford logo could work paint out Maine Central and replace it with Boston and Maine?? there for geting a B&M Cab that has passed on to Guilford.

Even the Micro-Train Troop Sleepers could work as a caboose one of them lines in Maine baught and just blanked out a few windows and used them as cabooses.

by SLR 393

Speaking of boxcars, my train pusher (chuck at feather river trains) emailed me tonight - the Athearn N scale Sieco B&M cars are going to be in his shop monday, I should have my 6 by wednesday or thursday, very exciting stuff!

On troop sleeper cars, take a look at Randy's site above, he also has the B&M baggage car door conversion for anyone who is interested.

BAR had a couple of cabeese converted from troop sleepers, there are pics on Nerail.

I wish we had some more B&M stuff in N, cabooses and more importantly passenger cars!

by fglk

Its odd I my self am a Conrail Modeler my self. But I have have seen vary few Boston & Main idems. I have also seen that there is not much of anything haveing to do with the New England States for that matter. I wonder why?? do these model companys not think there are railroads in the Northeast passed New York State?? There slowley comeing out with Locomotives but I would have to agree the selection of cars is quite poor.

by fglk

Bowser has a Mroon B&M Caboose with the Minute Man Logo on it there is a pic of it in the June 2004 Railroad Model Craftsman on page 21.