Railroad Forums 

• MyTix Mobile Ticketing

• Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.
Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

#1223976  by lirr42

Does anybody know if it's possible to maintain more than one ticket or pass on one cell phone? (i.e. can my wife and I keep both of our monthlies or tickets on one cell phone?)
 #1224006  by Amtrak7

JoeG wrote:There is nothing to prevent you from activating as you see the conductor coming, except a) activation isn't instantaneous and would be very noticeable (if you are susceptible to embarrassment), and you would have trouble doing it at NYP or in the Bergen tunnels. I activate before i get on the train. Anyway, even if someone gets a free ride by not activating, the same thing happens with paper tickets that aren't collected.
If a conductor observes this (or the passenger blatantly activates as he/she asks for a ticket) what could the conductor do? One can't collect, since the passenger has just paid his/her fare.
 #1224225  by JoeG

LIRR42, you can display up to 5 tickets on 1 phone.
As far as activating the ticket as the conductor approaches, how does that differ from getting out a paper ticket as he approaches? The possibilities for larceny are slightly less with the electronic ticket because once activated it expires in 2.75 hours. With a paper ticket, until the conductor actually collects it, there is a chance of re-use.
 #1224271  by CentralValleyRail

JoeG wrote:LIRR42, you can display up to 5 tickets on 1 phone.
As far as activating the ticket as the conductor approaches, how does that differ from getting out a paper ticket as he approaches? The possibilities for larceny are slightly less with the electronic ticket because once activated it expires in 2.75 hours. With a paper ticket, until the conductor actually collects it, there is a chance of re-use.
So you activate it when the conductor comes, will he care?

Think about the Cons of Activating before the train shows...

1. In places with shady characters Newark, Trenton you pull out your "smartphone late at night" to activate it (odds of something happening slim to none but why take the chance)

2. The train is Nullified or delayed so much you decide to take the Bus to the city (Glen Rock, Wayne 23, Somerville, etc) (once again HIGHLY unlikely)

I highly doubt either of the above would happen but why even bother, just activate it on the train. What is the conductor going to do throw you off?

If your in the Bergen Tunnels so:

A: Your going to Secaucus it has to be scanned through the gates

B: Your continuing through he'll collect it(scan it) whatever they do after Secaucus.

If NJT is being flexible with how you buy your tickets the conductors have to be somewhat flexible with how you present them.

I personally like the paper tickets (sometimes they don't collect them SHH : :P) but really I like the paper tickets, something to hold onto. Why buy a Monthly and show it on a screen I feel like there's no value in that. At least with the ticket, it feels like its worth something.
 #1225599  by JoeG

I wrote them and asked if there was a plan to extend MyTix to light rail. The answer was that after this year they would extend it to light rail and buses.
I think that with light rail and its POP system there is a bigger chance of larceny with the MyTix system. Now, on HBLR, when they are checking the fare cops wait at the exit from the controlled area and inspect tickets, or they walk through the train. In either case it would probably be possible for a passenger to quickly activate when he noticed the cops. I guess we'll see if they come up with an effective counter to that. Maybe the timestamp on the ticket would be considered sufficient evidence.
 #1225639  by loufah

On NLR, the fare enforcement people usually come on in packs of four and sweep starting from opposite ends. On a typical midday run, they can check everyone in less than a minute. If you board at a non-terminus, they'll check as soon as you get on. How long does MyTix activation take from the time you press the icon to commit to the purchase? (Maybe they can add a captcha to slow down the process.)
 #1230663  by philipmartin

The NJ Coast and Raritan lines have it now. NEC and the Atlantic City Line by the end of the year. They are advertising it on some of the TVMs at my station, (Middletown, NJ.)
I wonder if they will put my annual pass on my cell phone?
 #1230728  by ericr

Can anyone who's tried it explain the process to use it. You purchase the ticket, you activate it,... Does the conductor tap on your phone to indicate it's been seen or just look at it?
 #1230739  by JoeG

To use the ticket you first activate it. this requires an Internet connection. That sets the timer and gives you 2.75 hours to use the ticket. Once activated you no longer need the Internet connection; it's on your phone. The conductor just looks at it and issues a seat check. NY Waterway phone tickets require (not always enforced) that you tap the ticket on the phone, which changes its color. I guess that is to prevent some kind of Photoshop attempt to counterfeit the ticket. But the NJT tickets vary in color, which might provide some safeguard. If you need to go through the faregates at SEC, you tap the barcode on the ticket to enlarge. Then you hold it up to the scanner in the turnstile. (Tap again and it toggles back to the ticket image.)
 #1231786  by Steampowered

wouldnt it make more sense, that when you activate the app, it holds a payment, or payment hold. Similar to gas stations ? So if you buy a ticket, the app knows it paid for ? So activation is just the app printing a ticket ?
 #1231802  by JoeG

You buy the ticket and pay for it then. It isn't like a gas station because NJT knows exactly what the ticket will cost. It's the same as buying a paper ticket. To use it, you activate it, after which you have to show it to a train crew member or use it in a faregate within 2.75 hours of activating it.
 #1232707  by jamesinclair

JoeG wrote:LIRR42, you can display up to 5 tickets on 1 phone.
What NJT, and all commuter rail systems in the US, should do is require you to validate your ticket before boarding, as is done with light rail.

If it doesnt get collected, the ticket is still used.