• My trains wheels won't turn

• Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.
Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.

Moderators: 3rdrail, stilson4283, Otto Vondrak

by peanut1

Hello.
I got a new bachmann Amtrak Phase V amfleet car for christmas and I just noticed that a pair of wheels on the car will not turn. The car has been continuously screeching and it ways down my locomtive. Is there anything I can do in order to get them in turn? They turn if you take the car off the track but when it's on the track they freeze up completely. Any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
  by Ken S.

Did you try contacting Bachmann? The trucks on their Amfleets leave much to be desired with the way they roll.
  by peanut1

Should I contact them and see what they say?
  by peanut1

Will WD40 work or do I need something other than that?
  by lexon

Either return the car for a new one or get a truck tuner from Micro Mark and get some good all metal wheels. Any kind of oil will attract dust and lint. With proper wheels, lubricant will not be needed.

http://www.micromark.com/HO-TRUCK-TUNER,8241.html

Impatience will lead to frustration.
Don't forget, this stuff is mass produced in China.

Rich
  by Ken S.

lexon wrote:Either return the car for a new one or get a truck tuner from Micro Mark and get some good all metal wheels. Any kind of oil will attract dust and lint. With proper wheels, lubricant will not be needed.

http://www.micromark.com/HO-TRUCK-TUNER,8241.html

Impatience will lead to frustration.
Don't forget, this stuff is mass produced in China.

Rich
Except that tool won't work on Amfleet trucks.
  by lexon

Apparently the trucks are metal or are plastic/Delrin and cannot be tuned.
I do not have that type so do not know.
Most of the trucks I see and have are plastic or Delrin. I know oil eventually leads to other issues. Some people think more oil is better and create a mess.

Rich
  by peanut1

I sent an email to bachmann last night. I haven't gotten a response yet. Hopefully maybe they have a solution. Thank you everyone for the help. it is appreciated.
  by lexon

There is a very active Bachmann forum with a Bachmann rep there. Yes, he is the Bach Man.
I see quetions on the different Bachmann sets at times.
Look all though the site. There is a lot of info about Bachmann products.
This forum is good but don't short change yourself.
I belong to about twenty two model railroad forums including some on various DCC products and find loads of good info for modeling trains.

http://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/board/index.php

Rich
  by ApproachMedium

Amfleets have inboard bearing trucks so they cant be turned period. I would try turning the axles by hand. It seems like there is some kind of manufactures defect here.
  by peanut1

Well I tried something over the weekend and it actual worked. I used rubbing alcohol on the truck and the car has been running smoothly ever since. I still have to keep an eye on it. Thank you everyone for your help.
  by Otto Vondrak

peanut1 wrote:Well I tried something over the weekend and it actual worked. I used rubbing alcohol on the truck and the car has been running smoothly ever since. I still have to keep an eye on it. Thank you everyone for your help.
A little cleaning never hurt! Rubbing alcohol is a great way to remove grit and grime. Soak a paper towel in rubbing alcohol and spin your locomotive's wheels in it... You'll be amazed what comes off!

Here's a line of lubricants that are safe for hobby use (won't eat through plastic): http://woodlandscenics.woodlandscenics. ... Hob-E-Lube

-otto-
  by Dieter

You just bought it...
You paid with your hard earned money....
It's supposed to be brand NEW.....

RETURN IT.

Get a NEW one which is NOT DEFECTIVE like what you have now.

IF there's a manufacturers defect, this car will always be a problem unless you most likely get a replacement truck. That's more money spent you shouldn't need to spend when making a new purchase. Replacing these things can be a problem sometimes and you can make matters worse. If you got it at a bargain table at a church, we would all be telling you to get a new truck. From what you tell us, this is fresh out of the box. If you bought a brand new dishwasher from Whirlpool and it didn't work right, would you pay a repairman, or would you RETURN IT? Model trains are no different.

Make your life simple, get your money's worth; RETURN IT and get a new one.

D/
  by peanut1

Dieter,
The car has since been replaced and the problem has subsided some what. The car does squeak here and there but it's probably just my turns on my layout.Thanks again everyone for the help.