• Multilevel II Arrivals

• Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.
Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

by Silverliner II

They're heeeeeerrrreeeeeeeeee......

Trailer coach 7678, the first of the new order that I have spotted is parked in the CSX yard at South Kearny as of 4am today....
  by pswag115

Arrived at north bergen thursday during the day.
  by Fan Railer

Silverliner II wrote:They're heeeeeerrrreeeeeeeeee......

Trailer coach 7678, the first of the new order that I have spotted is parked in the CSX yard at South Kearny as of 4am today....
That was pretty quick haha. Anyone here aware of the order breakdown and numbers?
  by ns3010

Fan Railer wrote:
Silverliner II wrote:They're heeeeeerrrreeeeeeeeee......

That was pretty quick haha. Anyone here aware of the order breakdown and numbers?
Not that fast. IIRC, the contract was signed around summer 2010, so about two years until the first cars arrive is about average.
  by R36 Combine Coach

Uggh.. Now this makes me nolstagic for more Comet Vs. Just sign an option order for cabs 6084-99 already!
  by GSC

Are these also too heavy to run west of Long Branch on the NJCL?
  by morris&essex4ever

GSC wrote:Are these also too heavy to run west of Long Branch on the NJCL?
If they are the same weight as the original ML's, they shouldn't be too heavy to go west of Long Branch right?
  by CNJGeep

GSC wrote:Are these also too heavy to run west of Long Branch on the NJCL?
They are not too heavy to run on the NJCL. Remember, MLs were in Bay Head for quite some time, and they are not restricted from anywhere on that line (except diverging moves east of Long Branch at one or two locations).
  by Jtgshu

IIRC, (my paperwork is in the car, im not going to get it) the only restriction on MLs on the Coast Line is at the crossovers at Essay. Everything else is railfan rumor.

They did run out of Bay head for a while, they have since been replaced by Comets for a few reasons. However, there is nothing that says they won't be back tomorrow.

As for the replacement of the Comet 4s, I think thats a little premature. Eventually maybe yes, but for now, I don't think we need to rush out and ride Comet 4s for a little while yet. They are still some of the best cars in the fleet.

I THINK (my own personal opinion here....) they are going to supplement some of the MUs which apparently aren't going to get a "freshening up" as well as replace some "bad acting" comets, which in my experience, would be some Comet 5s and some Comet 2s which have constant door issues.

There is still a requirement of having to run the ML cars over a Pedestal track every 3 days, so that does kind of restrict the equipment rotation they will go in.

Now we get to see how well they play with the ML1s and locos - im sure thats going to be a whole new adventure! yay!
  by ThirdRail7

Jtgshu wrote: Now we get to see how well they play with the ML1s and locos - im sure thats going to be a whole new adventure! yay!
Will they actually mix the MLV1 and MLV2 or will they try to maintain solid sets of each?
Last edited by ThirdRail7 on Sun May 13, 2012 2:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
  by Silverliner II

Jtgshu wrote:Now we get to see how well they play with the ML1s and locos - im sure thats going to be a whole new adventure! yay!
If ML2 has the same features and functions as ML1, then they better play well together and with locos!!
No, wait, that's asking for too much, isn't it?
  by morris&essex4ever

Are the ML2's supposed to be any different than the ML1's?
  by 25Hz

morris&essex4ever wrote:Are the ML2's supposed to be any different than the ML1's?
I was wondering that myself. I read somewhere (probably here) that any changes were made after the first original few were put into service & seeing how they were in real life operating conditions.
  by Jtgshu

They have to be different in some sense, because they wouldn't be called ML2s then :)
  by Defiant

Any idea if BCL will get any? Any idea of the time frame?